Iodine stained fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcclai7

Reaction score
I brewed a fruit beer that at the end seemed like it had the beginnings of a pelicle forming. To play it safe I went down to the local brewery and asked some of my friends there for some iodine based sanitizer, which is supposed to kill anything it touches. I added it in the appropriate proportions, let it soak for a few days and now it is completely stained orange! The pic doesn't really do it justice. I have never seen a stain like this.

The way I see it I have 3 options:

1. Ignore the stain and brew in it anyway
2. Find something to take the stain off (PBW, bleach?)
3. Thrash it or use it for non brewing purposes

Thoughts?

iodine stained fermentor.jpg

So I've done some reading and it seems that bleach and/or oxyclean might be the way to go, but either way the stains shouldn't affect anything.

Agree, disagree, suggestions?

I switched to Star San after I ran out of Iodophor since I was sick of my buckets getting stained as well. That's just part of the deal.

As for how badly yours is -- I cant recall ever being alarmed that mine were turning orange, lol. I'd pour some water in it for a few minutes and then drink and make sure it doesn't taste off. As long as you didnt use a massively bad ratio, I can't see anything being wrong with it.

1. An infection from bacteria, as opposed to wild yeast is difficult to get rid of. Bacteria make biofilms that protect them. Hospitals have problems with bacterial infections, and have access to better stuff than we use.

2. Bleach isn't enough. Add an ounce of Vinegar to the water/bleach mix (not to the bleach). That produces hypochlorous acid which is the killer.

3. Iodophor can be mixed to different concentrations. If you mix it too thick it's no longer a no rinse sanitizer. It needs to be rinsed. And it stains at that concentration.

Back