Iodaphor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyfan964

Reaction score
Was surprised to have a guy at a very respectable, well known homebrew store tell me that he didn't recommend Iodaphor at all. Didn't give me any reason, just said that Star-San was a better product. He said Iodaphor is kind of "old-school" and that better products are out there. Has anyone ever had any problems with Iodaphor?

The only issue I've had before is that one of my beers had developed a slight flavor and aroma that could only be described as Iodopheric. (is that a word). I now make sure my bottling bucket and kegs drip dry for a longer time before transferring beer into them.

I went through a thing of starsan. Didn't really care for its foaminess. It has its uses. I like it for general sanitizing, but I won't ever use it to santize a carboy or bottles ever again. Foaming is just too much of a PITA. Oh and starsan turns viynl tubing hazy, so don't let it soak too long.

But for other stuff, starsan is pretty cool. I love cleaning up with StarSan- just dip a rag into a bowl of it and wipe it down.. no rinse.. great for cleaning a floor! Right now I have a Better Bottle that I fear may be infected. I'm going to StarSan it before reusing it because StarSan is supposed to penetrate scratches better (supposedly). But other than that, it's Iodophor for the large batch jobs, especially where glug-glug-glug foaming is a pain in the butt...

Listen to the latest podcast from Basic Brewing Radio. They interview a guy from National Chemicals who make Iodaphor. Very interesting stuff... says it would take quite abit of it to cause off flavors.

I love Starsan and I rack right on top of the foam. No big deal. It doesn't kill the enzymatic activity of my septic system too. Iodophor is not septic friendly and it stains stuff too.

Ditto on Basic Brewing Radio. I have no affiliation with them, I just like their content.

Latest posts

Back