Invert Sugar using acid blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arneba28

Reaction score
I was wondering if you could use acid blend to make invert sugar. The acid blend that I have is 20% citric acid. the lemon juice does not say how much pure citric acid is in it..and i dont know if it would be more or less then 20%...also the acid blend is 40% tartaric, 40% Malic and the last 20% is citric...could they other acids hurt the invert sugar or contribute different flavors,(that I dont want)

Acid blend is called for in alot of meads, is this to help convert the sugars in honey into more fermentable sugars?

I can't answer your main question, but no acid blend is not used to turn honey into simpler sugars. Honey is mostly monosacharides as it is. Acid blend is for increasing the acidity of a must.

You just need some acid to make the reaction. You don't need a lot of acid or a certain amount of any paticular type. I put in about 1/4 cup of either lemon juice or vinegar for every pound of sugar.

I've stopped using invert sugar and have gone with plain cane sugar. I don't see any benefit to using invert sugar.

Back