Interrupted Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I accidentally placed my blonde instead of my brown ale in the fridge as they are both marked only with a B.
They were bottled merely 8 days prior.
Does placing them in the fridge disrupt the conditioning of them or do I just figure that time into the 3-7 day carbonation time?
The beer was fairly carbonated, though that's probably because I didn't siphon all of the beer over to the bottling bucket, which increased the volume from ~2.6 to ~3.4. And the head/carbonation died out fairly quick.
It oddly tasted much like semisweet tea.

Pull them from the fridge, let em sit another 2 weeks or so then throw some back in to try. My first stout didn't carb right after 3 weeks, when I tried after chilling I pulled them, put them in a warm spot in my house and turned them upside down a couple times.

You will b fine, might just take an extra week.

My understanding was that, once chilled, it would ruin your beer if you allowed it to warm back up. No? They've been in there nearly a week.

rodwha said:
My understanding was that, once chilled, it would ruin your beer if you allowed it to warm back up. No? They've been in there nearly a week.

I cold conditioned a chocolate stout that I was providing for a party. After the party I still had 12 bottles left that wouldn't fit in my fridge so they sat at room temp for 2 more weeks until I had room again. After another week in the fridge I took them to my homebrew club to try and everyone loved it. That might not work on a lighter beer though.

No, this is false. Pull them out, let the beer warm back up. In a few days give them a good shake to resuspend the yeast and give them a few weeks.

Warm/cold cycles do NOT really cause much problems with beer. People have this funky idea, but people don't think about all the hot/cold cycles commercial beers go through from the brewery, through the distribution cycle, to the store or bar or restaraunt you get it at, to your car, and to your home. I can assure you that it goes through many temp changes in the journey to your liver. And it doesn't harm the beer.

Taking beer out, to let the yeast go back to work will be fine.

Back