Internet TV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrregularPulse

Hobby Collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Any one using it? Know much about it? I started thinking about it after reading another thread about cutting monthly expenses.
I found one site and it's only a 1 time $35 charge to download the software. Then it streams from Satellite like 3-4000 channels from around the country.
Only concern is losing DVR features and that it will only work for 1 TV without running a monitor splitter and cables through the walls. But even then it would be controlled by one area on a PC.

Anyone using anything similar with multiple TV's?
I'd just prefer getting rid of TV but swmbo won't go for it.

I've been keeping my eye on how internet TV develops, but not ready to pull the trigger on it. I like the idea of saving $$$ by getting rid of cable and downloading/paying for only the shows I like, but then how do you get turned onto new shows? Also, it is nice to only have to turn on the TV to watch the shows you want, instead of going through the hassle of finding/downloading.

The other rub is that is nice to surf channels and find different shows that you wouldn't neccessarily be interested in downloading, but to watch just because its on. For example, I don't DVR/Tivo Dirty Jobs or Mythbusters, but manage to catch most of them just because they are on all of the time (or when I happen to be flipping channels). If I don't catch one...oh well.

I'm not familiar with the satellite service you mentioned...care to share a name?

I have considered apple TV in order to download shows and movies I want to watch via itunes and stream them wirelessly to my TV's, however, I'm waiting for new technology since Apple TV isn't taking off. I have also considered Netflix streaming but haven't pulled the trigger since I don't want to add to my monthly TV bill.

The main requirement for me is wireless streaming and the ability to use a remote control. I don't want to have to use a laptop with HDMI cable to watch TV.

With the technology that I am aware of today, it seems like the best option aside from cable would be a combination of Netflix streaming and Apple TV. I could download TV shows individually via apple TV and movies/documentaries via Netflix. It's an option but I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger yet because I think better technology (i.e. streaming of internet TV) is likely to be available in the fairly near future.

Also, I don't really want to pay individually for shows that are available for free on Hulu or network websites. With that said, I also don't want to deal with hooking up my computer to the television or watching them on a computer monitor.

I would love to get rid of cable but I'm not aware of any technology that will provide exactly what I'm looking for.

I have also considered Netflix streaming but haven't pulled the trigger since I don't want to add to my monthly TV bill.

QUOTE]

Netflix streaming isn't what it's cracked up to be. I got it when it came out for PS3 thinking it would be great. They don't have ANY new releases (most are at least three years old), and the ones that they do have are pretty crappy. Out of the however many thousands of view on demand movies they have I think I wanted to watch three of them.

I have a feeling the technology for wifi+TV+streaming shows is on it's way.

Example: TV's with Wifi built in: http://www.hdtvinfo.eu/news/hdtv-articles/new-samsung-plasma-tvs-with-wifi-connectivity.html

This TV plus a box that is streaming television shows wirelessly, like Clear wire does with internet is where we are likely heading. Especially, with the TV frequencies opening up with the digital move. Then there would be no need for wires between the TV and the "cable" box or between the "cable" box and the provider.

This would allow for you to take it on the road, to the backyard, garage, brew hut, etc.

The TV industry is about to have some fun:ban:

I have also considered Netflix streaming but haven't pulled the trigger since I don't want to add to my monthly TV bill.

QUOTE]

Netflix streaming isn't what it's cracked up to be. I got it when it came out for PS3 thinking it would be great. They don't have ANY new releases (most are at least three years old), and the ones that they do have are pretty crappy. Out of the however many thousands of view on demand movies they have I think I wanted to watch three of them.

Thanks for the info. I've heard about that although from what I understand its an issue Netflix is trying to fix. Who knows when that will happen though.

I use Hulu a lot, it's free and they keep up on the shows I like. There's an app called PlayOn ($40 one time purchase) that streams Hulu (and others) from your computer to a Wii or other gaming console, so you can watch it on the big screen. It's a little choppy, but hell it's free.

I have a computer that runs mythtv (free DVR software; www.mythtv.org) hooked up to my TV. I use a cardboard-coat-hanger-and-tin-foil antenna I built similar to the one found at http://uhfhdtvantenna.blogspot.com/ to pull in free HD programming over the air. I find that just these local channels give me more TV on demand than I care to watch, and I can always download other stuff not available over the air. I don't miss having cable TV at all, and really don't miss watching commercials (mythtv skips them automatically).
The myka box (www.myka.tv) is pretty sweet, as is the popcornhour (www.popcornhour.com), if you're not much of a do-it-yourselfer. The content is certainly shifting towards an online, on demand model, and I believe that these kind of devices are just the beginning.

As far as one central DVR, look into the Terk IR extenders (yeah, you have to carry a remote around or buy another). I have one DVR, and wired HDMI over CAT6 to 2 other tvs. I have not gone totally to Internet TV sadly, but I have a dlink 520 connected to a media server for any downloaded stuff. It does Play On with Hulu and netflix streaming (poorly).

The digital tuner that I use with mythtv is the HDhomerun from www.silicondust.com which can receive both ATSC (over the air) and QAM (unencrypted cable) digital signals. It has two tuners and just takes the raw signal and feeds it directly to ethernet which can be played by any computer on the network. It has a built in IR sensor too for passing along your remote key presses. A very cool device with or without DVR software.

QUOTE]

New TV show episodes show up weekly for ones they get the license for, some new release movies are there. Licensing for streaming is far more difficult than physical media.

Interesting idea, but my satellite DSL lacks the band-width to stream low-res youtube in real-time.

A note about Apple TV and Netflix. Apple TV does not work with Netflix. You can do a simple hack to make it use Boxee, which will do internet TV. And it can download itunes movies, of course. A lot of the blu-ray dvd players have Netflix software built in and I know Samsung has Blockbuster software too.

I've wanted to switch to using off air HD but my apartment faces away from the main transmission so it does not work well. The fact is that off air HD is less compressed than cable HD, I'm assuming the same is true with satellite, but I have not witnessed that personally. I would save so much money switching to off-air and internet tv!

I've watched a few hockey games and some movies. No problems. Why do you think it's a scam?

B

Because all I could find was people complaining that it was a scam, that there were no US TV shows available, that the software sucked, and that it automatically popped up some window asking you to buy some other of their products.

Back