Internet Radio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Bob has been on a "Neil Young" kick for nearly two years. On Pandora, Spotify, and last.fm, he plays "neil young radio" constantly.

Here's the great thing- Spotify plays a lot of Tom Waits on "Neil Young Radio"! :rockin:

I had Sirius for 3ish years. I had a billing issue with the company. Quit Sirius for 5 years. Just finished a 7 day trial period for the iPhone. ....I miss it so much. So much good music choices and Stern too. Sorry for the hijack yoop.

I take back the apology......having beers while taking a break skiing and didn't bother to read the title of the topic...no apology for you yoop

My business partner loves Waits. I think he sounds like an old Ford pickup rolling down a steep and rocky hillside.

My business partner loves Waits. I think he sounds like an old Ford pickup rolling down a steep and rocky hillside.

Yes, but that's why he's awesome!

He's got the gravel and grit of Leonard Cohen, with the soul of Ray Charles. I can definitely relate to his music, which is usually "oh, poor patheic loser me", especially after a couple of beers!

One of the only things I HATE about living in Alaska is no Sirius, I miss it so much....

I listen to my Nighthawks at the Diner album on many a brewday. Also a great pick me up album when I'm a little down. Tom Waits is imesurably great!

I've been listening to Spotify lately. Got a few new artists to check out and some great classic 80s tunes, and some Star Wars soundtracks to rock out to.

Not sure if I've heard Waits before.

You haven't heard Tom Waits before? :eek: :eek: :eek:

the-simpsons-doh.jpg

You haven't heard Tom Waits before? :eek: :eek: :eek:
After looking him up I can safely say that, yes, I have heard him before. I remember him from about 2000 when a guy at work said he didn't like Led Zeppelin or any blues based rock groups (ok...)

But he liked this guy and I'm pretty sure it was Tom Waits.

I'm checking him out and I can report back the he has a "mild" blues element to his music so far! LOL!

It's not bad. Maybe something that could grow on me. Curious to see what his music sounds like over the years.

Waits' music changes tremendously over the years. The early stuff (that many people like a lot more) is very much classic blues-oriented. Some very cool stuff that's very much influenced by beat poetry (don't get turned off by that, things like "Diamonds On My Windshield" are very cool). "Heart of Saturday Night," "The Piano Has Been Drinking," "I Hope That I Don't Fall In Love With You" - dozens and dozens of classics.

Over time, starting around Swordfishtrombones, it starts getting more.... eclectic. Still blues-based, but some stuff that really sounds like it's almost field hollers. Leadbelly-esque. A lot more organic sounding. More stuff that's very... indescribable.

A lot of stuff where he's getting some very beautiful music from very ugly sounds and from very ugly places.

Of the "newer" stuff, I LOVE the album "Mule Variations."

"Alice" is also a gorgeous album, it's music written for a play he did with Robert Wilson about the relationship between Lewis Carroll and Alice Liddell. It's very different from anything else he's done, but spectacularly gorgeous. I used to sing the album to my daughter when she was little. Melodies that are just etherial.

Just, keep an open mind. You probably want to start with some of the older stuff ("The Heart of Saturday Night" is very accessible). "Rain Dogs" is excellent for when he was beginning to transition some of his sound. Listen to the track "Singapore."

As you can tell, I'm a fan. ;)

Just finished Closing Time and it's ok, but I probably would not listen to that style of music normally. I don't mind checking out some of his other stuff, if it evolves, as you say. And I'm keeping it in mind that I'm at work and I can't really turn it up to a pleasing level...

Sorry. Just not doing it for me.

Maybe I'm just not drunk or sad enough to really get it. I have noticed that my preferences for music depends a lot on my consumption.

Sorry. Just not doing it for me.

Maybe I'm just not drunk or sad enough to really get it. I have noticed that my preferences for music depends a lot on my consumption.

Bob's not much of a fan either. But he really likes some of it, like "I hope I don't Fall in Love with You".

Waits' music changes tremendously over the years. The early stuff (that many people like a lot more) is very much classic blues-oriented. Some very cool stuff that's very much influenced by beat poetry (don't get turned off by that, things like "Diamonds On My Windshield" are very cool). "Heart of Saturday Night," "The Piano Has Been Drinking," "I Hope That I Don't Fall In Love With You" - dozens and dozens of classics.

Over time, starting around Swordfishtrombones, it starts getting more.... eclectic. Still blues-based, but some stuff that really sounds like it's almost field hollers. Leadbelly-esque. A lot more organic sounding. More stuff that's very... indescribable.

A lot of stuff where he's getting some very beautiful music from very ugly sounds and from very ugly places.

Of the "newer" stuff, I LOVE the album "Mule Variations."

"Alice" is also a gorgeous album, it's music written for a play he did with Robert Wilson about the relationship between Lewis Carroll and Alice Liddell. It's very different from anything else he's done, but spectacularly gorgeous. I used to sing the album to my daughter when she was little. Melodies that are just etherial.

Just, keep an open mind. You probably want to start with some of the older stuff ("The Heart of Saturday Night" is very accessible). "Rain Dogs" is excellent for when he was beginning to transition some of his sound. Listen to the track "Singapore."

As you can tell, I'm a fan. ;)

Alice is one of my favorite albums of all time.

It's a beautiful album.

Back