Quantcast

Internet and video

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Here's my rant.

I don't watch TV much at all, but I like to read the news online to keep abreast of what's going on in the world. Many news "stories" are now video. I just want to skim headlines and read the news- if I wanted to watch video complete with sound, I'd watch TV.

It takes forever for some videos to load, even if I did want to watch. And of course, there is an ad first. I don't want to have to turn off my music (I love Spotify!) to find out why certain sports figures aren't playing in the game tonight- I just want to READ about it.

I don't want to watch a friggin' ad, and wait for crap to buffer with my slowish internet connection, just to find out the highlights of that story Really. I want to read the news. That's it.

MSNBC isn't as bad as Yahoo! news, and our "local" news station (90 miles away) isn't too bad. But I still don't want ANY videos unless I need more in depth information.

Thank you. I feel better now.

TyTanium

Reaction score
Well said! I have these exact same thoughts every single day.

Additionally, when I'm at work, playing video with ads is neither time-efficient nor subtle. Drives me nuts.

david_42

Reaction score
Between Ad Block Plus and NoScript, most of the videos don't get downloaded unless I request them. And if a site doesn't give me the option to skip an ad, I leave the site.

Zamial

Reaction score
I 100% agree w/ Yooper on this one. There should be a text option for every video, for the hearing impaired... ;)

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'm with you 100%. I read a few different sites every morning and some of them don't offer a text version of an article describing the article. Just a video. Lame.

Now obviously I want to see the kid skateboarding who falls on his face. But I don't care to watch a video with 2 minutes of newscasters hypothesizing and 10 seconds of facts. Just tell me what you know in a few simple sentences.

Latest posts