Intergalactic Smoothie(NEIPA ish experiment)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jklett

Reaction score
The hop schedule is more dependent on fermentation rather than actual days, this is also my first from scratch recipe so I'm hopeful that it'll come out how I am picturing it in my head. I'll let y'all know if it works out how I intended in a few weeks, I am very optimistic. Also, the second flaked oats is not a different brand, I just added another 2# and wanted to differentiate it from the first 2#. Brewing it now.
Screenshot 2021-04-22 110022.png

I missed my OG by 34 points(came out to 1.052 instead of 1.086), I'm still trying to figure out where I went wrong. So far everything I've brewed has been within a few points either way but this is way off. It's my first time using oats, maybe that had something to do with it. It's as if the only thing that converted was the Maris Otter. I'll continue as planned with the rest of the process and see how it turns out flavor wise. I can deal with a session ale.

I missed my OG by 34 points(came out to 1.052 instead of 1.086), I'm still trying to figure out where I went wrong. So far everything I've brewed has been within a few points either way but this is way off. It's my first time using oats, maybe that had something to do with it. It's as if the only thing that converted was the Maris Otter. I'll continue as planned with the rest of the process and see how it turns out flavor wise. I can deal with a session ale.
This is VERY low yes, what did your crush look like on the MO, malted oats, white wheat? Do you own your own mill? 25% flaked oats - its pretty darn sticky eh? Do you sparge?

This is VERY low yes, what did your crush look like on the MO, malted oats, white wheat? Do you own your own mill? 25% flaked oats - its pretty darn sticky eh? Do you sparge?
Crush looed good on the MO and wheat, crushed kernels and split but mostly intact hulls. Oats looked just like Quaker old fashioned. I'm thinking that might have been the problem. I fly sparge.

Came out pretty close to how I wanted and smells like mangoes. Unfortunately it has a touch of hop burn but that has faded quite a bit since the hydrometer sample so I'm hoping it drops off even more over time. I think the recipe is solid, just have to work on my methods. If I was to brew it again I would cut the rolled oats in half or drop them altogether. I don't think they add what I was hoping for.
20210507_144952.jpg

Looks decent for the SRM. Question about the wheat you used, are you sure it's malted white wheat and not raw wheat? I noticed that with raw wheat, it needs a rest a 120F to help convert and then you can resume mashing. Otherwise I'd check the crush, etc.

It was supposed to be malted white wheat but I may have been given raw by mistake. I doubt that was the case but I don't know. Crush looked the same as the others I have gotten from that shop and I haven't have any problems with hitting the numbers before. I still think it was the oats. I'll play around with the base wort in smaller batches to see if I can figure out if it's process or ingredients causing me to undershoot the gravity so much.

Back