Interesting software behavior from Beersmith...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leviticus

Reaction score
So, I have been rummaging around looking for advice on mash profiles with Beersmith, and seeing a lot of guys frustrated with the process of changing their profiles and I think I know why.

It seems that beersmith does not dynamically update its reports (e.g. - 'Classic Brewsheet') when you change your mash profile. You have to go into the recipe, reselect the mash profile you just modified, and then choose 'OK' again. Only at this point, does it update the brew schedule.

(I believe is is caused by the fact that the recipe imports the mash profile as part of the recipe, instead of calling on the mash profile as an external object. - I'm not a programmer, just an IT guy, so my apologies to the developer ahead of time.)

I've seen several postings that this could be the cause of someone's frustration because the sparge schedule doesn't change when they change the mash profile.

I don't really consider this a 'bug' per se, as the mash profiles aren't meant to change that often, and the developer probably saw no need to update the reports unless you actually modify the recipe. So, this is mostly just a warning to new users who are just setting up their profiles and dialing in their settings.

BTW - I've tested this several times with the mash profiles, but am not sure if it is the same with the equipment profiles (mostly because I'm not sure what to change to dramatically effect the reports for testing).

Good catch. And it is the same for your equipment profile. If, for example, you realize that you get more boiloff than you estimated or you lose more to the bottom of the kettle than you thought and update your equipment profile, Beersmith does NOT update the recipes. You have to go int to each one and reselect the equipment profile.

Back