Interesting read....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm always trying my best to avoid buying bought-out craft breweries beer. It's hard to keep up who's owned by whom anymore. I may still drink some at a festival, although I'm starting to feel more sheepish about that now too. No more DB Vienna Lager here. But Blue Point's Toasted Lager is just as good, and has become even better tasting, just now.

Greed always perseveres. It must be in the human gene, brought out by the onsight or scent of $$.

I'm always trying my best to avoid buying bought-out craft breweries beer. It's hard to keep up who's owned by whom anymore. I may still drink some at a festival, although I'm starting to feel more sheepish about that now too. No more DB Vienna Lager here. But Blue Point's Toasted Lager is just as good, and has become even better tasting, just now.

Greed always perseveres. It must be in the human gene, brought out by the onsight or scent of $$.

Might want to rethink that Blue Point Toasted Lager if you feel that way about Devil's Backbone. AB-Inbev bought them in 2014.

Could you say for certain that if you were the owner of Devils Backbone, that you wouldn't sell?
Not sure I could make that promise...

Could you say for certain that if you were the owner of Devils Backbone, that you wouldn't sell?

I'm sure it was a butt load of money they made. Glad there are a lot of good local beers in VA

There are so many startup breweries in my local area that I don't need to worry much about buying from the big guys. Though I still enjoy a few of the still independent big guys, Sierra Nevada, and Deshutes are a couple that come to mind. Just in my town though we have the Auburn Ale House, Knee Deep, Moon Raker, Crooked Lane, and many more in the surrounding area. We just got a LHBS as well!!! Life is good...

I'm sorry, but if a beer tastes good I'm buying it regardless of the owner or brewer.
Why deny myself of a beer that tastes good?

And before anyone takes the extreme side of the equation let me say from the beginning that yes I will drink a Corona or Miller Lite when it's hot outside and I want something light and quenching.

I'm sorry, but if a beer tastes good I'm buying it regardless of the owner or brewer.
Why deny myself of a beer that tastes good?

And before anyone takes the extreme side of the equation let me say from the beginning that yes I will drink a Corona or Miller Lite when it's hot outside and I want something light and quenching.

<HBT Membership Terminated>

:)

I feel somewhat the same way, but only so long as the big boys play fair--of which I have no expectation.

I think we're seeing the beginnings of a repeat of what happened from the 50s to the 80s, when the big brewers made life very hard on the small regional brewers. So many of them went out of business or sold out at a pittance.

What happens when craft brewers are bought out, the laws on distribution are changed so that the little guys can't really compete, and we get a repeat of the previous monopoly efforts?

I don't blame Devil's Backbone for selling out, but they can't have it both ways.

And yet, people who produce great products should be rewarded with our patronage. If Devil's Backbone does that, the way to compete is for the little guys to meet and exceed their quality and value.

Might want to rethink that Blue Point Toasted Lager if you feel that way about Devil's Backbone. AB-Inbev bought them in 2014.

<ugh!> I'm picking up a very bad taste suddenly!

I wasn't aware of that. Their website doesn't mention it in their milestones... it figures, let's not advertise this event wildly.

Consumer verdict: Xnay on UePointBlay!

I can say that for certain! Mediocre Macro Beer is only getting larger, I never want to be part of that.

My take on the whole selling out is that business is created for profit, otherwise it would be a Charity.

You can either A. get in the beer business to make money and do so by making beer or B. get in the beer business to make beer and money is secondary. I would believe more people than not would fall into category A if the opportunity presented itself

I can say that for certain! Mediocre Macro Beer is only getting larger, I never want to be part of that.

Everyone has their own set of circumstances to deal with including Mr Crandall (another mans shoes & all) and company. It's hard to say what they are and your or mine if we were in that situation. I just don't think one could say for certain until one is there. I don't expect I'll have to fret over it though....

<HBT Membership Terminated>

:)

I feel somewhat the same way, but only so long as the big boys play fair--of which I have no expectation.

I think we're seeing the beginnings of a repeat of what happened from the 50s to the 80s, when the big brewers made life very hard on the small regional brewers. So many of them went out of business or sold out at a pittance.

What happens when craft brewers are bought out, the laws on distribution are changed so that the little guys can't really compete, and we get a repeat of the previous monopoly efforts?

I don't blame Devil's Backbone for selling out, but they can't have it both ways.

And yet, people who produce great products should be rewarded with our patronage. If Devil's Backbone does that, the way to compete is for the little guys to meet and exceed their quality and value.

Not too worried about it. Here’s why:
1) Even at the low point in 1983 there were still 80 breweries in the US. That is still a long way from a monopoly.
2) There are more breweries than ever in the US
3) About 2 breweries per day have opened up in 2016
4) Consumer preference is shifting more and more toward variety in food and beverage.
5) State and local laws are tending toward making opening a brewery and distributing beer easier.
6) There is a large community home brewers. This provides beer entrepreneurs and innovation. This did not exist 30 years ago.
7) The start-up costs to open a brewery are relatively low and getting lower.

Economic down turns and/or changing consumer preference are bigger threats to smaller breweries.

I have clone recipes for DB Vienna Lager and 8 Point IPA

sure I can find ones for their Schwartz Bier, Catty Wampus and Kilt Flasher, if need be

Not too worried about it. Here’s why:
1) Even at the low point in 1983 there were still 80 breweries in the US. That is still a long way from a monopoly.

IMO, monopoly is more reasonably defined by the amount of beer sold by the big (3? 4? whatever) and the degree to which those small breweries have capability to enter new markets without predatory pricing by the majors.

2) There are more breweries than ever in the US

That was true back when, until the big collapse. Things change. Or can.

3) About 2 breweries per day have opened up in 2016

How many closed?

4) Consumer preference is shifting more and more toward variety in food and beverage.

For now. One thing about preferences: they change...and change again.

5) State and local laws are tending toward making opening a brewery and distributing beer easier.

I'm not aware of that. Even if so, trends can stagnate or even reverse. Note alabama's attempt to get craft brewers to record customer information.

6) There is a large community home brewers. This provides beer entrepreneurs and innovation. This did not exist 30 years ago.

That also can change. Is that community larger or smaller than 5 or 10 years ago? I don't know.

7) The start-up costs to open a brewery are relatively low and getting lower.

Hmmm.....it's always struck me as a difficult thing to do, and unless you buy out someone going out of business (and buy their equipment--something Lakefront Brewery in Milwaukee has done a couple times), it doesn't strike me as relatively low cost.

Economic down turns and/or changing consumer preference are bigger threats to smaller breweries.

We will have to disagree on that. Nice to joust with someone on this stuff without it becoming a p***ing contest!

We'll see, over time.

IMO, monopoly is more reasonably defined by the amount of beer sold by the big (3? 4? whatever) and the degree to which those small breweries have capability to enter new markets without predatory pricing by the majors.
I think that might be too loose of a definition for monopoly. The major product lines of the big 3 have only a moderate overlap with the smaller breweries whether it’s beer style or price point. Also, technology has made distribution much easier. Today, I can go the grocery store and buy beers from 23 states (back of napkin calc) including Alaska and Hawaii. If I go the bottle shop I probably could do all 50.

How many closed?
Not many. Bottom of the page. https://www.brewersassociation.org/statistics/number-of-breweries/

Hmmm.....it's always struck me as a difficult thing to do, and unless you buy out someone going out of business (and buy their equipment--something Lakefront Brewery in Milwaukee has done a couple times), it doesn't strike me as relatively low cost.

I was speaking relatively in regards to cost. The reason their are few car companies, airlines, phone carriers etc... is because the start up costs are high. The reason their are so many restaurants and now small breweries is the start up cost is more affordable.

In my view, the freer the market the better. If you are making high quality suds that people like then the demand will take care of itself.
Peace out.

Back