Interesting cider "experiment"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SagamoreAle

Reaction score
I was looking thru this past fall's Zymurgy and I came across an article which basically documented a cider brewing contest evaluating the results of different yeasts, the winner of which was WLP002/Engish Ale Yeast.

Although my fall cider making was finished, I was intrigued and I figured I could get out a quick 5-gal batch using WLP002 in time for Christmas.

I set out in search of cider and the only one without sorbate cost 9.89/gal from my local orchard. So much for getting cheap cider at the end of the season. I finally settled on a more reasonably priced, sorbated cider and I figured I'd pitch a 2-quart starter to make up for the lack of yeast reproduction. I have never tried fermenting in the presence of sorbate, which is the first thing that made this cider experimental.

Once I had the starter was ready I poured the cider into a carboy, added plenty of yeast nutrient and energizer, and out of habit I added 50ppm metabisulfite. I was immediately concerned because beer yeasts aren't supposed to be very tolerant of sulfites. I figured wtf and went ahead and pitched the starter, lacking many other choices at this point. Experiment #2.

The next morning I checked and found a tepid fermentation. Recalling that I'd been disappointed that my recent purchase of energizer lacked b-vitamins, I ground up a vitamin b-6 pill (being all that I had around the house), dissolved it into some water, and added to the brew. Experiment #3.

Fermentation became very vigorous after about 6 hours.

About a week later, looking at the yeast cake, the sorbate didn't do much to inhibit yeast reproduction.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this cider tastes in another 3 weeks.

Back