Intercollegiate Homebrew Competitions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njhomebrew

Reaction score
I am a college student and avid brewer new to these forums. I was wondering if anyone has attempted to organize an intercollegiate(student only) brew competition?

Money, space, and the fact that only seniors and some juniors are legal certainly limit the amount of homebrewers on campus. I'd love to be wrong on this one though, but doubt it.

My college son drinks Natty Light but does like some of my beers but they obviously prefer beer that can be slammed down and drink for the buzz. Homebrewers want quality and taste and most are patient enough to wait for beer to be ready.
I actually started brewing when I was in school but lived at home so I had space. Plus, at that time, 18 was the legal age to drink.

I understand I know that in college many students are looking for quantity over quality for their (parents') dollar... MY roommates and I drink that stuff on occasion but of the guys living in my house 2 brew and the other enjoys our brews.

I am in college and brew. It is difficult using an electric stove and living in a small apartment makes everything difficult. That being said, I did my first all grain and it turned out great.

But an all student brew club would probably create a lot of problems (underage drinkers, people looking to make moonshine/swill/turbo-yeast).

Ironically my EdWorts Haus Ale all grain is cheaper than Keystone, Natty, Etc

Back