Intentional Vinegar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blizzard

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted to make red wine vinegar from a few leftover bottles of some homemade stuff I didn't like that much. I've seen online that it's possible to do without a mother, but that it takes a long time. Since acetobacter need oxygen, I was thinking of putting it on a stirplate. Has anyone tried this?

Any other thoughts or words of wisdom? thx. :mug:

What about buying some unfiltered natural vinegar. I'm pretty sure the bottles essentially have a mother in them. I'm not 100% sure that you want to put it on a stir plate as you arent going for oxidized vinegar. You also don't really want anything else getting in there and going crazy, just the acetobacter.

I don't know the answer about the stir plate but you can buy vinegar at the natural food store that has a mother in it. Vinegar has been on my list of things to do and I plan on buying some vinegar at the hippy store and using it as a starter culture.

Back