Intensity of bitterness from whirlpool addition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbrim

Reaction score
My wife is a major hop head. I like them too, but not with the same intensity. It's been a long summer for her...work stuff. I'm seriously considering making an over the top pale ale for her at around 4.6-4.8% ABV. The plan is to mash at 156 for some body and then add a bunch of super high alpha hops to the whirlpool. Beersmith calculates the whirlpool additions as contributing 34 IBUs to bring the total up to 58. Here is the recipe:

9.25 Canada Malting Co Pale Ale malt
.75 lbs Crystal 40

.25 oz Topaz FWH
1 oz Topaz at 5 min
2 oz Topaz Whirlpool 10 min
1 oz Galaxy Whirlpool 10 min
1 oz Columbus Whirlpool 10 min

American Ale Yeast (it is from a regional supplier).

OG est 1.049 (5.5 gal)
FG est 1.014

Does anyone have insight as to whether the bitterness would be overwhelming with this sort of approach? Comments about the recipe generally are welcome. I'm set on the grain bill because I really want to try out this new base malt and keep things simple. The hops can be adjusted in any direction and I have a bunch of all 3 varieties.

IMHO, I do not think you will have any problem with bitterness intensity. Your 5-min Topaz addition will contribute the most isomerized alpha-acids, or bitterness.

I think you will have hop intensity instead. 4 oz of hops during whirlpool, especially as the wort drops below 200-F, should keep plenty of the hop oils around, and you will not be isomerized the alphas anymore.

So, if you are looking for a lot of aroma & flavor, without intense bitterness ... I think you are on the right track. But, that is my un-scientific feeling.

FWH & Whirlpool hopping have some debate on how they interact with bitterness & hop flavor/aroma. I usually put my FWH into beersmith as a 20-min addition, in terms of bitterness. For my whirlpool hops, I let the whirlpool go un-hopped until it drops below 200-F, then add them for 15-20 minutes. Many of the fragrant hop oils evaporate off the wort over 196-F or so... I do not worry about the IBU contributation of those hops. If I am pushing the max IBU range, I might drop my bittering IBUs a tad.

Just a few thoughts... let us know what you decided on, and how it all turns out! :)
--LexusChris

As long as the whirlpool temp is below 180 it's all aroma and flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I love the whirlpool additions for really hoppy aroma/flavor. Dry hopping would push it even a little further, although I might recommend leaving out dry hopping to see how much aroma you get with just the whirlpool. You might be pleasantly surprised. As mentioned, let the wort temp drop below 200 and toss em.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So if I reduce the temp to 180 then whirlpool should I increase the boil hops to achieve an appropriate bitterness level? I can use my RIMS system to maintain a constant temp at 160, 180 or whatever.

Back