Insulation for MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPAAAA

Reaction score
I am tired of wrapping a blanket on mine. Anyone ever install some kind of insulation around theirs and can recommend something good to get for it? It already holds heat pretty decent but this will just save me the time with messing with a blanket.

If it's not direct fired I would get one of these:

koozy_photo-2-w-diagram.jpg

For $39.95 it's not too expensive and it works real well on a non-direct fired Mash Tun.

http://thekegkoozy.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Reflectix on converted keg. Works OK. I found most of the heat is lost through the lid. I used the lid from my old round cooler and it works wonders.

Check out some reflectix insulation (basically, silver bubble wrap)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BQSYRO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

You can get it at Lowe's or HomeDepot.

Some guys also use some sort of foam that McMaster sells, but I can't remember exactly what it is.

Went to home depot to try and by this stuff. They had it but only in a huge roll that was almost $50. Think the stuff from amazon will be enough to cover the mlt two times?

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to home depot to try and by this stuff. They had it but only in a huge roll that was almost $50. Think the stuff from amazon will be enough to cover the mlt two times?

So anyone know about this? Have you bought the amazon stuff from the link earlier in the thread and it was enough to cover a 10 gallon mlt?

I know it is a 10 gallon rubbermaid MLT but I honestly have no idea of the actual dimensions.

I went with Bobby's mineral wood insulation from Mcmaster method. Wrapped some roof flashing around it and put together with some riveted clips and sealed with silicone.

Why do want to insulate something that is already insulated?

Am I missing something?

To help with maintaining the temp. I usually wrap a big blanket around it and it is just tedious to try and do that every time.

Back