Insulated Shipping Box Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chemkrafty

Reaction score
Hey all!

I was able o get some insulated shipping boxes that were going to be thrown out at work. They have 2 inches of polyurethane insulation on 3 sides as shown here: http://www.thermosafe.com/products/insulatedshippers.aspx

There are 3 but I think I only need two for this job. I'm going to try and build something similar to the son and mother of fermentation chambers but I haven't quite decided on all the details and I was hoping to tap into the collective mind here for thoughts.

First I intend to remove the corrugate as best as I can. I have one done and its not too shabby...one layer of paper or PU. I can't remove the inner bottom flaps as they melded them into the bottom.

I will ultimately be sheathing it in 1/4" plywood to make a presentable piece of furniture so I can use this inside.

I intend to use the ice with computer fan and a homemade STC-1000 control which is already built.

It was thinking I might place the open sides together and hinge it to get access to the carboy...assuming I can lift it in and out effectively (brewhauler perhaps?). Then I would only need to cut a small opening in the bottom to do a bottom ice feed. I would have to do some measuring to see if a top side ice chamber would be doable.

Any thoughts for better ways to put it together, cut openings, or whatnot?

Back