insufficent priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Movinfr8

Reaction score
Bottled an APA last Tuesday, and when cleaning the bottling bucket, I realised that about half the priming sugar was in a clump in the middle of the bucket!
Since it was bottled already I waited. Now it's pretty darn flat. should I pop all the tops (used a case of 22 oz bottles and a case and a few 12's) and re-prime, or wait a little longer? also is there any downside to the slightly flat beer other than not having bubbles?
Norm

I'd probably not reprime as I'm lazy. The lower carbonation will definetely affect the flavour and mouthfeel of the beer. Serve it warmer then usual and call it an "American Bitter" and start another batch - this time boil your priming sugar and put it in your bottling bucket before you rack your beer in so it is well mixed...

Also, if it's only been a week since you bottled it the yeast in the bottles might not be done. I'd say wait at least another week before you do anything to it.

Got Trub? said:
this time boil your priming sugar and put it in your bottling bucket before you rack your beer in so it is well mixed...

+1... boiling your priming sugar in a small amount of water prior to adding it makes sense not only because you are certain it's fully dissolved, but also because the boiling sterilizes it.

If 3 weeks goes by and its still to flat you could try carb tabs... You'd need to rebottle and wait some more. It wouldn't be a total loss.

I agree with the other comments, next time boil your sugar with water and stir 2-3 times during bottling just to be sure it doesn't set-out. I've never had problems doing it this way.

Unless you are OK with undercarbonated beer, I would re-prime. It is going to be a bit of a PITA, but here is a method that works:

1. You absolutely MUST let all the current priming sugar ferment-out before you re-prime. If you don't, your resulting carbonation will be unpredictable, and could result in inconsistent carbonation from bottle to bottle, and possibly even bottle bombs. Move your bottles to someplace warm (say 75F) if they aren't already. They need at least a week (two is better) at warm temps to carbonate.

2. Once you are certain the original priming sugar has fermented away in the bottles, carefully vent the CO2 out of each bottle, but don't remove the caps. If not much comes out, try a little agitation to get that CO2 out of solution. You want to get as much out as possible.

3. Cool the beer as cold as you can get it (without freezing, of course).

4. One bottle at a time, remove the cap and add a Cooper's carbonation drop or the appropriate amount of Munton's carbonation tabs (I have used both and *greatly* prefer the latter) to each bottle. If you didn't vent all the CO2 out and/or if they are not cold, adding the sugar tabs will cause an instant gusher. Don't say you weren't warned!!! :)

5. Using a new sanitized cap, reseal the bottle. Give it a gentle shake to ensure that the bottle is sealed and to resuspend the yeast that may have settled to the bottom of the bottle. Repeat steps 4 - 5 for all remaining bottles.

6. Move your bottles to a warm spot (70 - 75F) for 2 weeks minimum.

Hope that helps!

evandude said:
+1... boiling your priming sugar in a small amount of water prior to adding it makes sense not only because you are certain it's fully dissolved, but also because the boiling sterilizes it.

+2...boil it, cool it, rack the beer onto this little sugar water mixture, and I even gently stir my bottling bucket every 10-12 bottles to ensure its staying evenly mixed (though that is probably a little overkill...but if you are gentle and sanitize, you won't mess up the beer doing it).

Back