Quantcast

Instant Pot

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Evilgrin

Reaction score
Just got a Dou Gourmet on sale. Tired of stuff like beans taking forever but first...............

How are you guys doing rice? Just plain white rice or rice cooked in chicken stock? Are you using the rice to water ration of 1 to 1 like in the instructions and "rice setting" or is something else working better. I like firm rice but cooked. Depending on the rice i prefer less sticky too. Not a huge deal if my good koshihikari is sticky, its supposed to be. Stuff like jasmine or just plain long grain i like to be less sticky and fluff nice..

I got a couple ideas for pork belly too. Anyone done a Asian style pork belly?

Deadalus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I add a little bit more water for the rice. I've been working with around 1 to 1.125, 2 cups rice to 2.25 cups water. I always make sure to rinse it. I think the Instapot takes that into account. It also weighs the mixture I read. Mostly have cooked just Jasmine though since purchasing.

OP
E

Evilgrin

Reaction score
just using the rice setting or??????

RolandD

Reaction score
Yes, use the rice button for all white rice. Rinsing keeps the rice from being sticky.

My wife tried several times to make rice using manual settings, using instructions she found on the internet. They all turned out under cooked or scorched on the bottom. It never occurred to her to use the rice button. Perfect rice ever since. She did the same with eggs, lol.

OP
E

Evilgrin

Reaction score
Ran the test run. It works.

Used 4 cups of bottled water instead of 3 because i needed a quart of water with ginger for the wine im making. Letting it natural release to get the most out of 100 grams of ginger.

After rice im going to try some pork belly. Sorta like red cooked pork.

OP
E

Evilgrin

Reaction score
On a side note

After cooking the ginger in the IP i saved it and added the water to my carboy. Covered the ginger in more raw organic sugar. Then dried it out a little more
DELICIOUS candied ginger!!!! I tasted my ginger water too. WOW, intense ginger flavor.

Will try some rice today. I may use bone broth instead of water.

OP
E

Evilgrin

Reaction score
Trial run
2 cups plain long grain rice...well rinsed
2 cups bone broth
1/4 cup water
Dash of each, garlic powder, onion powder and turmeric
1/4 tsp salt because my bone broth has no salt added
A couple pinches of celery flakes

Rice button but set to 5min on high pressure. Default was 12min on low. I thought that sounded a bit long.

Ordered a stainless steamer basket and glass lid off Amazon too. Would love to see if i can get it to steam rather than boil rice also. Got the lid for slow cooking.

OP
E

Evilgrin

Reaction score
Initial thoughts....Only needed 4min. Rice is just slightly over cooked.

Still pretty tasty though with a little Katsuo Fumi Furikake on top. :D

I think im going to need to try this again with Lop Cheung. Its a slightly sweet Chinese/Taiwan pork sausage. Its used in both a fried rice and steamed rice versions. Our Costco and Asian markets stock it.

Last edited:

Knightshade

Which way is up again??
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Gotta go to HK to get the "best"

I kept my Zojirushi for rice, don't even bother w/the IP. Side note..when I put Lop Cheung in the rice pot, kids usually scramble to get the portion of rice that it cooked on top of. Quite funny to watch.

bleme

Reaction score
I have a Power Pressure Cooker XL (minor differences from IP)
For long grain rice I have a set of glasses like this. I fill it to the 'line' with rice, then to the top with water. I know that doesn't help you very much. ;)
1605744722929.png

For sticky rice I use 400 grams of glutenous rice and 350 grams of water.

Either way uses the Rice button (which is 6 minutes) then natural release.

OP
E

Evilgrin

Reaction score
I got some older Jasmine i need to use up. I will try the default rice setting but the same small increase of water. Default on mine for 2cups of rinsed rice and 2.25 cups of water was 12min and low pressure. From what im reading the plate under the pot flexs. That flexing is how it "measures" things and adjusts temp/pressure.

So im curious how smart it is.

Deadalus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got some older Jasmine i need to use up. I will try the default rice setting but the same small increase of water. Default on mine for 2cups of rinsed rice and 2.25 cups of water was 12min and low pressure. From what im reading the plate under the pot flexs. That flexing is how it "measures" things and adjusts temp/pressure.

So im curious how smart it is.
Definitely turn the keep warm off. That may have been the issue I was having when I was getting over cooked rice, but I was adjusting the water up to compensate. I think I still got crunchy rice when I added about a 1/2 cup extra water to 2 cups rice and had keep warm off. But that was about when I decided to go manual. I don't use it very frequently though and it just got downgraded off the countertop (small kitchen, limited space).

charlesbrewer

Reaction score
Not say being an asian knows it all. But usually we just use the steam/white rice setting and adjust our water by trial and error until we find the optimum for that particular rice cooker. There are many variables, different rice cooker of course. The rice type, batches, season and sometimes water composition too. Exactly like when we brew.

OP
E

Evilgrin

Reaction score
Yes, im aware. I have many kinds of rice and sometimes minor adjustments need to be made. Normally in a rice cooker its water over the rice upto your first finger joint with the finger tip on the top of the rice. That will be too much water in a IP.

IP set on rice uses pressure. That pressure is controlled by temp and its all calculated based on a program.

charlesbrewer

Reaction score
There are many ways sensing when rice cooked. Not sure if that diagram is specific to your cooker but definitely very unconventional and seems prone to error or incompatible with different rice. What makes a good rice is actually getting the rice absorb heat and water to turn the starch, and evaporate the water leaving just the right amount.

If you do it manually, that means getting the water boil, keep that way for 5 min with cover on then open a slit to have the water evaporate with the remaining heat without flame for 15 min. In total should take 25-30 min. The rice cooker just doing the same thing with some kind of heat sensing. But your cooker seems to cycling heat multiple times. I am not sure if that's some fancy way to cook "perfect" rice.

OP
E

Evilgrin

Reaction score
It maintains pressure by adjusting temperature. It also appears to be able to sense the amount of rice/water in the pot before you press the "rice button". That way it adjusts the cook time needed.

I needed a "all in one" solution for cooking rice/beans/stocks/meats ect in various ways. Just a rice cooker did not cover all of my needs and multiple appliances are a hassle with limited space. Ive got a much larger pressure cooker and canner. One is a nice Fagor but its just too large for making a meal for 2-3. A 6qt IP is nearly ideal for using often and with minimal attention while its in use.

The first use with bone broth was almost perfect. I can see using this for things like "Spanish rice", paella or arroz con pollo.

Last edited:

Jayjay1976

Bubblegazer
Reaction score
It absolutely does not sense weight, amount of ingredients, etc. It operates on smart algorithms that anticipate your actions. It knows what you do before you do it. The instant pot is wise.

OP
E

Evilgrin

Reaction score
This is the only fully automatic shortcut button. It cooks on low pressure for as long as it needs to based on the amount of liquid it senses in the pot. It is for cooking “regular” rice, according to the manual (white rices?), and takes about 12 minutes to cook 2 cups of rice, 14 minutes to cook 3-5 cups of rice. Note that cooking time will not display while rice is cooking.
Made for white rice only. This fully automatic program adjusts the cooking time depending on the amount of water and rice in the cooking pot.

Last edited:
OP
E

Evilgrin

Reaction score
I added bone broth and turmeric to the rice while cooking. Using other methods of cooking i have not been as lucky on the first attempt using stock/broth. It was just slightly over cooked. Not scorched just a little softer than i like. Maybe a little longer at low pressure or less cooking time at high will be better?