Installing Weldless Valce on Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amrmedic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Bayou Classic 44 QT SS kettle. After my first AG batch, I quickly learned that a full boil kettle is heavy and pouring hot water tricky. I bought the weldless ball valve and bulkhead from Bargainfittings.

My question is simple, how do I figure out where to install the valve? I know on the kettle, but how high up should I go? I am used to using powertools, but still am nervous about drilling a hole in my shiny kettle. So I want to make sure I do this right the first time. I have a step bit.

Thanks

A couple inches up will usually do the trick depending on the pot and burner combo you're using. You just need to make a diptube that reaches to the bottom of the kettle after you're done.

Depends if you plan on leaving any trub behind on purpose. I leave a gallon of junk/trub behind on purpose so i get a cleaner transfer. It is easy to figure out pour a half gallon or gallon what ever you perfer into the kettle and mark the level and move up 1/2 the diameter of your coupler and drill the hole. I would make the hole 13/16 (.812) instead of 7/8 (,875).

The burner I use is a bayou classic too, and I am not worried about direct fire/heat on the valve. If I go up 1-2" from the bottom, will this be sufficient?

Also, any ideas on how to make a dip tube for this set up? I have seen many examples including the use os SS braid.

Thanks

Back