Installing toys in the brewpot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balickma

Reaction score
Hello all,

Here is my brewpot:

tUA9D.jpg

It's a 10 gal stainless steel one, and it's dimensions are 12" tall and about 15.75" in diameter. I am about to install three things:

1. Drain Valve
  2. Brewmometer
  3. Sight Glass

I am wondering what the general heights of these should be. I feel like this pot is a little more short and wide than most brewpots and definitely wider than kegs. I was going to install the drain valve at about 1" from the bottom, the brewmometer about 2" from the bottom, and then the sight glass I'm not too worried about, but probably 0.5-1" from the bottom.

The two heights I'm concerned about are the drain valve and brewmometer. I hope that I am not losing too much wort with having the valve at 1", since it is so wide. I am not going to use a kettle screen or bazooka screen, I was just going to let it all pour out and use a filter once it comes out the tubing. Also, I don't want the brewmometer too high but also read that if it's too close to the burners, it might be damaged. I use my stove to boil, so the flames aren't too big.

I'm just looking for confirmation to see if those heights are good for the fittings, or whether they should be higher or lower.

Thanks, and cheers.

I have that pot and I put a sight valve/thermometer in it from brewhardware dot com. Works great and very cheap. The sight glass should be as low as possible, the limiting things being where the bevel of the bottom of the pot starts. That one has the thermometer built in and therefore very low towards the bottom of the pot, I have never had a problem with inaccuracy or scorching on either my stove or banjo burner.

I don't have a valve in mine, but in general you can put the valve towards the bottom too, but you probably want a dip tube so you have some control over the level that it is draining and you can easily add a screen to it if you want.

I have that pot and I put a sight valve/thermometer in it from brewhardware dot com. Works great and very cheap. The sight glass should be as low as possible, the limiting things being where the bevel of the bottom of the pot starts.

I got the sight glass from brewhardware.com, but just got the plain 90 degree elbow version since I already bought the brewmometer from Blichmann previously.

With flames, I would have the thermometer about 4" minimum from the bottom, sight glass and valve, pretty much up to you, use a dip tube with the valve so you'll catch whats below the valve. I'm assuming your using weldless fittings so you'll want those away from the flames as to not damage the silicone gasket.

Back