Installing a thermowell in rubber bung. Sealant needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ParanoidAndroid

Reaction score
I have a 16 inch thermowell that I will be installing in a regular rubber bung. SO it will be sitting vertically in a few inches of wort. I am using better bottles. The Ranco probe will sit in the bottom of the thermowell with some tape or something over it. I plan on making the hole slightly smaller than the thermowell so it will take a little pressure to get it in. Should I use some kind of food grade sealant to permanently attach it to the rubber bung, or keg lube for the hole, or is that small a hole in the stopper not a problem?

Also Ive had bad luck (or at least I think so) with just taping the probe to the side of the fermenter, so thats out.

If you make the hole undersized, ( as stated),and use alcohol, which makes rubber and the like "slippery", and force it well into the bung, to insure an "interference fit", you should need no adhesive or sealant, I M O.

As well, when you place the bung in it's opening, you will be forcing the bung against said undersized thermowell hole............( heh, heh, heh....).

They make special ones for glass vs better bottle. Better bottles have a slightly narrower neck I believe.

Yeah, I ferment in 3 gallon pet jug. I find mine work okay with my 3 gallon glass carboys but they do make a version specifically for the 5 and 6.5 gallon glad carboys

I drilled a hole in one of those thick rubber bungs. Didnt make a circle...it was basically a slit. Anyway I had to put some keg lube on it to slide it through. Washed it up with some alcohol, startsanded it (that even a word?), and put my ranco probe down in there with some tape on top. So much more confident in my temps this way as opposed to just taping it to the side.

Back