Installed valve on kettle, how do I start siphon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idigg

Reaction score
Such a simple question, and I did search. I must be over looking something!

I installed a ball valve and a side pickup/whirlpool fitting on my kettle today. With 3 gallons of water in the kettle (above the pickup tube and valve), when I open the valve, no water comes out. I'm curious how I can start a siphon cleanly without a pump. Any suggestions?

Also, I got my first yeast starter going, picked up a stir plate from stir starters, can't wait for next brew session.

Thanks for any help...

justin

A siphon only works when you are moving liquid from a higher point to a lower point. You can't siphon from one vessel into the same vessel, there's no driving force. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're asking, but it sounds like you're trying to violate physics. :D

I'm trying to take the cooled worth from kettle to fermenter. Kettle is higher than fermenter.

Oh, my bad, i read it as you were trying to whirlpool in the kettle. I get it. In your first post, you said water, then later cooled wort. If its water and you can't get it to flow, there's something screwy with your pickup or valve. If cooled wort, perhaps some hops or break material are plugging your pickup.

You can't pull a siphon without tubing or a hose attached to the front of the ball valve.. In case you didn't already know this.

You can't pull a siphon without tubing or a hose attached to the front of the ball valve.. In case you didn't already know this.

Well sure, it won't be a siphon, but he can certainly expect liquid to come out of an open valve, which it sounds like isn't happening. :D

Either it is a clog or the child proof seal on the kettle side is still in there ;p Tube or no, when you open that sucker if liquid is above it then it should come out, the max speed is dependent on the orifice opening, as pressure goes up the orifice is the limiting factor... either way you should have serious leakage.

I figured it out. I didn't do a proper test before. I just tipped a gallon of water and no flow. I know filled the kettle up and it flows. Sorry for the fail thread :)

Back