Install spigot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

John Long

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience installing a spigot and thermometer onto a brew kettle? My kettle is basic, no holes.

Any directions anywhere?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Get weldless fittings. If you can drill a hole and tighten a bolt (Actually called a Bulk Head Fitting) you're there. If not, maybe you should get help....those pots are NOT free!

OP
J

John Long

Reaction score
Very nice, thank you! Now I just need to find a drill as my measly "kitchen" drill doesn't measure up.

jma99

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I just put in a weldless valve in my 60 qrt Heavy restaurant type aluminum pot.

Best thing I have done.

I now use a three tier gravity fed system, I dont have to lift 60+lbs of hot water / wort.

My back approves!

SixFoFalcon

Reaction score
Depending on your brewing techniques you may or may not want a spigot. I have one on my kettle because everyone seemed to imply it was "the thing to do" but I stopped using it after the first couple of batches. I use a pitcher to scoop out my mash and sparge water, and since I use an immersion chiller to chill the wort, I don't find the spigot/ball valve to be useful. It's actually a bit of a sanitation liability since my wort is already chilled by the time it would flow through the valve. I use my auto-siphon racking cane instead.

I plan on removing the ball valve and replacing it with a combination sight glass and dial thermometer.

I'm not saying there is no reason for a spigot/ball valve. If my technique was a bit different I'd be all about it.