Inspecting co2 tanks and regulators.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrmarcdee

Reaction score
I've got a line on a used 40lb tank with a dual body regulator for $200 total. Pretty good deal right?

Its apparently fairly old, was used on a food cart, was last used about 3 years ago, but supposedly works fine. How can I test or inspect it when I go over to check it out before I buy it from the guy? It is empty.

Thanks.

Short answer: with an empty cylinder, you can't test anything.

You can check the tank to see if you can find/identify the latest certification stamp to see if it's still valid, but that's about it. If it's expired you often can exchange the cylinder at places like AirGas without paying for a test, just be cool about it and see how it goes. Worst case you're out for a hydro test which will run around $20-25.

Low ball your offer based on the inability to test anything - and if the cert has expired, take off another $25....

Cheers!

For the cylinder, all you can do is check the hydro date. I believe you get 5 years from last inspection. If you do swaps, it shouldnt matter... much.

For the regulator, just look for damage. If it is all beat to h3ll it is not worth it. I prefer the ones with a dial rather than a screw for adjustments.

Back