Input on this bitter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiodad

Reaction score
Hi everyone.. I put this one together today. Haven't generated a recipe myself yet. Wanted to start with something simple. Would appreciate any tips or advice about this recipe. I'm still learning as I go but I'm interrested in generating my own recipes.. Any feedback you can provide would be welcomed..

Eastern Storm Bitter
English Pale Ale/Strong Bitter

Type: All Grain
Date: 1/5/2008
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Brewer: OhioDad
Boil Size: 7.00 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (7.5 gal) and Cooler (48 qt)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 69.57 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.70 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 8.70 %
1.00 lb Toasted Malt (27.0 SRM) Grain 8.70 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.35 %
1.50 oz Challenger [7.50 %] (60 min) Hops 36.5 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (20 min) Hops 8.8 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (5 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.18 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 48.2 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 8.3 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 11.50 lb
Sparge Water: 5.04 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 14.38 qt of water at 164.8 F 153.0 F

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 4.2 oz Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Fixed the US Pale.. Was supposed to be Toasted Malt.

This looks similar to my next batch. I am adding some Victory or Biscuit malt to mine and using Cyrstal 120.

Blender said:
This looks similar to my next batch. I am adding some Victory or Biscuit malt to mine and using Cyrstal 120.

Interesting.. I do have some Biscuit down there too... Didn't even think about that malt...

I'd lose the US 2-row since it wouldn't add anything to the beer. Either switch that to maris otter (or whatever British pale ale malt you're using) or use biscuit instead.

YooperBrew said:
I'd lose the US 2-row since it wouldn't add anything to the beer. Either switch that to maris otter (or whatever British pale ale malt you're using) or use biscuit instead.

I thought the same thing.

TL

YooperBrew said:

Oddly enough that was supposed to be Toasted Malt. Was going to put some of the Brittish 2 row in the oven for a bit... Not sure why it showed up that way. I've not used toasted malt and was curious of the flavor it would impart.

Ah well there ya go. Toasted at home instead of using biscuit. Now that weird line makes sense.

This looks really tasty. Maybe a little less Cara-Pils? Standard bitters have never struck me as thick-tasting, that is to say that I think you might end up with TOO much mouthfeel. That's just guessing though. My last few batches have been all very heavy in the mouth, even the Honey Wheat I did, so I'm going to experiment with lower mash temps and stepping next.

Have you used that Challenger before? I have 2 oz in the freezer that I'm looking forward to trying. Not had it before.

chriso said:
Ah well there ya go. Toasted at home instead of using biscuit. Now that weird line makes sense.

This looks really tasty. Maybe a little less Cara-Pils? Standard bitters have never struck me as thick-tasting, that is to say that I think you might end up with TOO much mouthfeel. That's just guessing though. My last few batches have been all very heavy in the mouth, even the Honey Wheat I did, so I'm going to experiment with lower mash temps and stepping next.

Have you used that Challenger before? I have 2 oz in the freezer that I'm looking forward to trying. Not had it before.

Actually my first try with Challenger as well. My LHBS doesn't have a great supply of hops and this was one of the ones they got in so I thought I'd give em a try in a bitter.

Yeah I thought maybe a pound of carapils might be a bit much when I was putting it together... Think I should back off of the carapils or lower the mash temp?

If you're not set on being at 1.054, I would probably drop the Cara-Pils to 0.5 lb. (This way you'll also have a stash of Cara-Pils for other oddball beers that you want to add a little more head retention to.) If I recall, you will get additional head retention from the Caramel/Munich malts also.

I think that the full pound PLUS a high mash temp would probably lead to a really ... full, chewy beer. I'm kind of getting the impression that you want this to be more drinkable, less powerful. A good ol' drinkin' beer, basically. :)

Overall, this looks solid, I like it.

---------------------

For reference/comparison, my 2nd batch of beer was a porter for a friend. I had no clue what I was doing. This was my grain bill:
4 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
2 lbs Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
1 lbs Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)
4.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)
0.50 oz Galena [13.00 %] (60 min)
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (15 min)

It was delicious. But impossible to pour in less than 15 minutes. HUGE rocky tan head. Also very dark, roasty, and thick. Hard to drink more than two. But those two are tasty buggers. And if you didn't guess, it's a waste of 2 lbs of Honey Malt - you don't taste any of it through the Black Patent and Chocolate malts.

chriso said:
If you're not set on being at 1.054, I would probably drop the Cara-Pils to 0.5 lb. (This way you'll also have a stash of Cara-Pils for other oddball beers that you want to add a little more head retention to.) If I recall, you will get additional head retention from the Caramel/Munich malts also.

I think that the full pound PLUS a high mash temp would probably lead to a really ... full, chewy beer. I'm kind of getting the impression that you want this to be more drinkable, less powerful. A good ol' drinkin' beer, basically. :)

Overall, this looks solid, I like it.

---------------------

For reference/comparison, my 2nd batch of beer was a porter for a friend. I had no clue what I was doing. This was my grain bill:
4 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
2 lbs Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
1 lbs Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)
4.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)
0.50 oz Galena [13.00 %] (60 min)
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (15 min)

It was delicious. But impossible to pour in less than 15 minutes. HUGE rocky tan head. Also very dark, roasty, and thick. Hard to drink more than two. But those two are tasty buggers. And if you didn't guess, it's a waste of 2 lbs of Honey Malt - you don't taste any of it through the Black Patent and Chocolate malts.

Wow that is a lot of honey malt!! ;-) I love thick dark beers though so it sounds delicious to me... Yeah I re-thought the carapils in my recipe and I think I'm going to actually use up that 3/4 of a pound of biscuit I have down the basement and do it this way maybe... Puts me down around 1.050 which is a nice round number to shoot for...

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 74.42 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 9.30 %
0.75 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 6.98 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.65 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.65 %
1.50 oz Challenger [7.50 %] (60 min) Hops 37.4 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (20 min) Hops 9.1 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

I hope the sweetness from the munich and the toasted notes from the biscuit can both show through some in this.

Will mash around 153 I think.

Back