Input on Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridire

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I tried this in the Beginners forum and got no responses. I hope this double post is not a violation of board rules:

Looking for something light, with a little sweet flavor, with little hop character. Something I will drink but the wife will like also. Here is my (very experimental) idea for a lighter ale:

Partial Mash (5 gallon batch):

2.0 lbs. Light DME
3.3 lbs Light LME (late addition)

2.0 lb Vienna Malt
1.0 lb Crystal Malt 10L
0.5 lb Wheat Malt

0.25 oz. Nugget Hop (60 minutes)
0.50 oz. Orange Zest (10-5 minutes)

2 Vanilla Beans (15 minutes)

SafeAle S-05 yeast

Hoping this keeps IBU at or under 15 and ABV at around 4.5% - 6% (I have not calculated the fermentables yet to see if I hit that range).

Thoughts? Am I getting too cute with both the vanilla beans and the substitution of late addition hops for the orange zest?

EDIT: is the 2 lb of Vienna silly compared to just more DME to give a little boost to the ABV? I don't know why, but I like at least some fermentable sugar coming from my grains...makes me feel like I made "real" beer.

I think the beer will be good if you keep the temp low for ferment. Beer temp of 65 or room temp of 60.....raised a little a day if you dont have temp control.......also i think you need at least 20 ibus add more end hops or this is going to be too sweet in my opinion....

reinstone said:
I think the beer will be good if you keep the temp low for ferment. Beer temp of 65 or room temp of 60.....raised a little a day if you dont have temp control.......also i think you need at least 20 ibus add more end hops or this is going to be too sweet in my opinion....

I know the orange zest bitters the beer but do you know how much? What is the equivalent hop alpha acid?

If I turn this into my first AG beer, what base malt should I use to keep it light?

EDIT: I'm thinking 7lbs. of 2 Row to replace the extract?

Back