Input on frame build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

mendozer

Reaction score
I finished an electric control panel and now it's time to build a frame. I have a previously build two tier frame made of ankle iron I could use I guess, but I wanted to make it more compact now. (its like 5-6 feet long)

I'm not set on 2, 2.5, 3 tier designs just yet but I know i want the boil kettle high to allow for plate chilling into my fermonsters. I have two pumps so I don't really care if HLT is above or below MT. I liked the tree design bc it's more compact but maybe harder to weld sturdy. I even thought of a single riser with the three tuns rotating around it like the old Blichman TopTier but again structural integrity matters. Can't be dropping my 15 gallon keggle because of poor welding or design.
I will like to mount the E-panel to the side somewhere, probably the left based on where I'm envisioning this being. Anyone have clear input on why one design, height, order, might be better than another? One reason to have MT above the BK in a 2.5 tier is if a pump dies then I can still do my HERMs mash and gravity drain into the keggle. I'm 5'10" ad I'd like this keggle to be no higher than 5' off the ground for comfortable use.

Attachments

• PXL_20220512_035057383.jpg
    PXL_20220512_035057383.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220512_035108789.jpg
    PXL_20220512_035108789.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220512_035114605.jpg
    PXL_20220512_035114605.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Bean

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
You have no reason to go into the HLT on the regular so that should be mounted as high as you are comfortable with. You can then mount your BK and MT the same height. I would then try to mount the pump as high as possible between the MT and BK so I can still gravity / pressure prime it but remove as much vertical distance to keep pressure up. I like to have my BK out to be just about the same height as my kegs so in a pinch I can always use gravity to drain in the event of a pump failure.

I guess your closest drawing to that would be the first one. If you went with the third I would flip the HLT and MT and make a tippy dump for easier cleanup

OP
OP
mendozer

mendozer

Reaction score
I went outside and measured my old stand because I forgot how big it was. Turns out not that long. I somehow remember it being quite long. 54.5 long because I had HLT above and MT next to BK before. It's only 16" deep which was fine bc my kettle and keg fit inside that. The HERMs pot is a bit wider than that. I could possibly add a shelf bracket below the HLT part and slide the MT underneath, then cut the overall 54.5" length down to probably 32-36". I can easily add a bracket for mounting the pumps.
I was thinking both pumps would be under the MT, one on the left and one on the right. Left one going up to HERMS coil, then when read right one up to BK. I see alot of people circulate the HLT too, not sure if I care to do that or not. Seems like everyone likes circulating everything. For pumps this is where the one tier notion comes in handy, minimizing tubing loss.

Attachments

• PXL_20220512_192031729_2.jpg
    PXL_20220512_192031729_2.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
OP
OP
mendozer

mendozer

Reaction score
this is going to be inside a utility room, right in front of a five foot window that slides. This will allow me to put a box fan in the window to suck out the boiling steam

Latest posts