Inline Aeration?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustinHickey

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just started using a counterflow chiller via gravity and am happy with the chilling effeciency. However, since I am not using a pump it takes some time for the wort to get through the chiller and down into the bucket ( I use the bucket to pour in to the fermentor to aerate it a bit ). I have looked into pumping and was even devising a way to pressurize the kettle with an air compressor to get a higher GPM through the chiller but called it off after I realized the compressor may put oil / debri in my kettle,.

So, this leaves me with 2 options, raise the kettle to get a higher psi at the chiller ( not possible for me ) or go directly into the carboy from the chiller so I don't worry so much about having an open bucket with finished wort sitting around for 15 minutes while it all drains.

That being said, is there any type of simple inline aeration system / device that anyone knows of that I could use to aerate the wort as it passes into the fermentor? I was thinking something like the "vino" wine aeration thing they sell. That would be simple and easy to sanitize prior to use. I know of the whole beer stone thing but that just seems like it would take too long to be worth cleaning and sanitizing all the time.

Let me know if you can,
Thanks,
Dustin Hickey

I think I have it. Has anyone attempted to construct a Venturi tube for use in wort aeration? It is commonly used in pondwater aeration and should be possible if used in conjunction with one of those inline hepa filters on the air intake. Please let me know if anyone has any experience in this.

Howdy from a fellow Long Islander,

A wine aerator could work, especially one of the aerators that works as you pour the wine. That I think these wine pour aerators would work well since you are gravity draining your kettle. It would definetely aerate the wort but the question is: will the wine aerators supply enough oxygen to promote vigerous fermentation? I would say yes, since shaking the fermenter is usually enough in most cases.

I use a venturi device I made from a portion of a broken siphon. Works like a charm, drilled about twelve 1/64 holes around the tube, the tube is about 4 inches long and attached to the end of the siphon hose in the ferm bucket. When I am done gravity draining from the kettle to the pri-ferm, theres about 2 inches of foam on top. :)

I think I have it. Has anyone attempted to construct a Venturi tube for use in wort aeration? It is commonly used in pondwater aeration and should be possible if used in conjunction with one of those inline hepa filters on the air intake. Please let me know if anyone has any experience in this.

Is the time it takes to drain the kettle a problem to you, as I would expect it to be a bit slower if you add another restriction (the venturi) in it. If the venturi doesn't cost too much you might as well just try it and see, but if it was me I would be dropping more than $30 just to trial it (but I'm an engineer and like to prove it to myself before experimenting, that and I don't have too much spare cash!)
Anyway good luck with this!

EDIT:
I use a venturi device I made from a portion of a broken siphon. Works like a charm, drilled about twelve 1/64 holes around the tube, the tube is about 4 inches long and attached to the end of the siphon hose in the ferm bucket. When I am done gravity draining from the kettle to the pri-ferm, theres about 2 inches of foam on top. :)
Apparently I was wrong then ;), and sounds like it cost $0 fiddy.

I'm not entirely sure, but this looks like something you might be interested in. I have not used this, but I found the site on another thread:

http://www.wortwizard.com/

The person who posted seemed to think it was the best thing since the invention of beer. Seems like a pretty straightforward device. I like simple. Anyway, I might get one for myself. My problem is cooling in general. I have been looking to purchase a chillzilla or something similar, because I live in the south. My ground water is usually in the 80's. Good luck.

Back