Initial Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hulsey24

Reaction score
Do yall use an airlock for the initial fermentation?? Or do you just cover it with cloth or something? IF I used a bucket would there need to be a lid on it or just cover with cheese cloth and secure?

I cover my primaries with a clean towel, or a loose fitting cover, to keep fruitflies and the like out. I also stir a couple of times a day for the first 5 days or so, so it's convenient to do that in a bucket.

I've heard both sides here at HBT. I prefer to ferment with a airlock. Then again I'm paranoid about contamination after my first spoiled batch. Really I think it's a matter of preference.
I airiate real well at time of yeast pitching and don't touch it till the gravity bottoms out and I always get to 1.000 and below. Again what floats your boat. I've only done a dozen meads and half a dozen wines. I know yooper has years more experience then I do.

Back