Initial Equipment Purchase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RuckingBrewer

Reaction score
Brand new to HB and wanting to buy my first starter kit soon. I've been reading this forum and other sites along with my own research. I have some questions before I buy and any help is appreciated!

1. I've looked into three suppliers and their upgraded beginner kits all seem to contain the same items, but at different prices and shipping rates. I'm hoping for some feedback and direction. The three companies are Midwest Supply, Northern Brewer, and MoreBeer. Northern is higher than the other two, but does come with a recipe kit. Midwest and MoreBeer are very comparable in price when shipping is factored in. Can you guys give me some advice based on experience with any of these companies' kits? (I can provide links if anyone is unsure of the exact product.)

2. When it comes to the kettle, I've seen some on this forum say that any stainless steel stock pot will do as long as the volume is appropriate. Is this true, and if so, should I go to the dreaded Walmart for the least expensive one?

3. My stove is an electric glasstop. Will this be enough (hoping to do full boils instead of partial)? My grandfather has offered me a propane burner that he used to use to fry turkeys, would this be a better option?

Thanks!

My opinion on equipment kits is that they are all pretty much the same regardless of where you purchase them. I would just look at overall price vs what is included in the kit and go from there. As far as a kettle goes I started off with a 7 gallon stainless turkey pot but looking back I would've been better off buying a good quality 15 gallon kettle from the beginning as you will quickly outgrow a standard 5-7 gallon kettle. Might as well spend a little more up front and keep from having to buy a bigger kettle later on. On your cooktop question, I probably wouldn't try to boil more than 3 gallons on an electric glass cooktop. Again, you'll be better off with the propane burner in the long run especially if it is free.

My wife got my starter kit from Adventures in Homesteading (homebrewing.org) which is the closest real shop around us, they have a free shipping deal on some equipment kits. Just a thought!
Best of luck! I just started and am loving it so far!!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

1. I've dealt with both Morebeer and Midwest; both are great but Morebeer has free shipping on orders over $59 so that might sway you.

2. Stainless steel or aluminum work fine, and your turkey frying pot should suffice for extract brewing. In the long run you'll probably want at least a 10-gal pot though.

3. Cody is right about glass cook tops: mine can boil 3 gallons just fine but that's about the limit. Your propane rig will work nicely for full boils but of course that means working outdoors.

Enjoy your new obsession!
Rick

Most kits are going to include the basic things you will need. I'd make my decision based on price, personally. I use an aluminum pot, and I love it. I got it Sams club, but I know you can go to a restaurant supply store and buy them as well. Mine was around 70 bucks. Do yourself a favor and go a head and buy a 40qt pot. Also, go with the propane burner.

just that. I have a 10g Megapot from Northern Brewer and I can get 6.5 gallons boiling on my glass top stove. Of course, if covers two eyes, but it can be done. I do recommend you go with at least a 7.5g kettle at the very least. If you can get 6 g boiling, you can do full boils, plus you can turn your kettle into a mashtun later on down the road, or even better make larger batches. I do recommend glass carboys, but again, thats an opinion, simply because you can see whats going on with your primary and judge clairty, racking times, clarity, and just simply see where your fermentation actually is without worry of introducing harm to your beer.

Brand new to HB and wanting to buy my first starter kit soon. I've been reading this forum and other sites along with my own research. I have some questions before I buy and any help is appreciated!

1. I've looked into three suppliers and their upgraded beginner kits all seem to contain the same items, but at different prices and shipping rates. I'm hoping for some feedback and direction. The three companies are Midwest Supply, Northern Brewer, and MoreBeer. Northern is higher than the other two, but does come with a recipe kit. Midwest and MoreBeer are very comparable in price when shipping is factored in. Can you guys give me some advice based on experience with any of these companies' kits? (I can provide links if anyone is unsure of the exact product.)

2. When it comes to the kettle, I've seen some on this forum say that any stainless steel stock pot will do as long as the volume is appropriate. Is this true, and if so, should I go to the dreaded Walmart for the least expensive one?

3. My stove is an electric glasstop. Will this be enough (hoping to do full boils instead of partial)? My grandfather has offered me a propane burner that he used to use to fry turkeys, would this be a better option?

Thanks!
As others have said the Basic kit from all is about the same.. Better is if you can substitute items in the kit (say a second Fermentation bucket instead of the 5gal glass carboy.. Or a 2 piece set of lo and high scale hydrometers swapped for the triple scale version most kits come with.. or what ever else you might want a different item for) Austin Home Brew does this Kit modification, others may as well.. just ask.

My Glass top LG stove will do full boils (5.25gal , full rolling boil) but in my 30 qt SS pot, doing a full 5 gal is just asking for a boil over... I mostly do 4 gal boils... and top off after.

When I want to do a 5+ gal boil I do it outside on a propane burner.

While any pot with enough volume for your intended boil will work..I have done a few partial mash / extract and Steeped speciality grain and extract in a 36qt al pot that came with my burner.... The pot does not retain heat as well as My double walled clad SS pot.. Scorching the extract is common on the thinner pots unless you turn the flame off.... On my better SS pot, I can add LME or DME with full heat, and never have a scorched product.

All that to say... almost any pot will work, but a larger one, and a better built one will work with less fuss.

Back