Ingredients on hand/ recipe formulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angeldustmite

Reaction score
So I do 1 gallon batches and have recently switched to all grain. I'm having a really difficult time coming up with my own recipes and was wondering if I could post what I have on hand and see if I could maybe get some ideas as to what my possibilities are. As far as the types of beers I like, I'm really into anything super hoppy. My all time favorite beer is tied between Stone Ruination and Dogfish Head 90 minute. I'm not necessarily looking to brew an IPA though. Here's what I got:

On-Hand Inventory

Grains & Adjuncts

Briess Caramel 20L 1 lbs
Briess Caramel 40L 1 lbs
Briess Carapils 1 lbs
Briess Golden Light DMEDry Malt Extract 1 lbs
Briess Sparkling AmberDry Malt Extract1 lbs 0.00 ozs
Briess Victory Malt 1 lbs
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L1 lbs
Crisp Maris Otter1 lbs
Munich Malt1 lbs
Rahr 2-Row3 lbs
Rahr Pale Ale2 lbs
Weyermann Pale Malt 1 lbs

Hops
Amarillo Gold1.32 ozs
Cascade1.00 ozs
Centennial1.00 ozs
Chinook1.00 ozs
Columbus (Tomahawk) 1.00 ozs
Fuggles 0.86 ozs
Simcoe 1.00 ozs
Warrior 0.26 ozs
Zythos 1.00 ozs

Yeasts

Safale S-04DryAleFermentis S-04 1.00 packages
Safale US-05DryAleFermentis US-05 1.00 packages

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

With no crystal higher than 40L and no darker roasted malts I think you're pretty much looking at pales or IPA's (though I suppose you could make a barleywine). With a 1 gal batch you've got plenty of American hops, so anything from APA to double or triple IPA. You could also do an English style with the fuggles and S-04. If you're looking for a full recipe maybe give folks a little more direction on what you want for the final product.

I'm thinking I want to try to do a west coast IPA. Something really hoppy around 7% ABV. Something in the vein of a Stone IPA or anything comparable. I would love to try to make a Barleywine but those are a little intimidating.

The recipe below is very close to the Stone IPA clone recipe from BYO in 2008. This is set for 75% efficiency with 1.25 gal post boil, and not knowing the exact AA's of your hops. For a bit more malty background you could sub some of the base for a little munich (say 8-10% of the grainbill), when doing that I often don't use crystal but up to you. You could also add a couple oz victory if you like. And you could certainly sub/add in any of the other american hops for the late additions. I would more commonly include some 5-10 min and flameout or whirlpool additions, but the below schedule is what was in the clone recipe. Though they list English yeast I would use the 05 personally.

Estimated OG: 1.069 SG
Estimated Color: 6.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 75.3 IBUs

3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US 94.0 %
3.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L 6.0 %
0.25 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 57.8 IBUs
0.25 oz Centennial [9.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min 17.6 IBUs
0.25 oz Centennial Dry Hop 5.0 Days
0.25 oz Chinook Dry Hop 5.0 Day

:mug:

That looks good. Think I might go for this one when I brew on Tuesday. Might make a few tweaks but looks pretty solid as is. Thanks man!

Alright, so I did a little tweaking of the recipe just to make it my own. My only worry is that according to the app I use my OG is 1.085 and my FG is 1.021. But here goes:

2.75lbs US 2 Row
0.15lbs Victory Malt
0.1lbs Carapils

Mash in 3 quarts of water at 144-152
Sparge 5 quarts of water at 170

0.26oz Warrior hops at 60 minutes
0.20oz Centennial at 30
0.20oz Centennial at 10
0.25oz Cascade whirlpool (50 minutes maybe)
0.25oz Chinook and 0.25oz Centennial 5 days

05 yeast

The program says it should be 9% ABV and 80.6 IBU. I'm guessing on the whirlpool as I've only just now read up on it, but where I've never done one I'm not sure if I'm going to. Efficiency and attenuation are both at 75%. I chose the Carapils because I've read it helps with head retention. I'm thinking I might dial the hops back a little at the bittering stage, but I do love a hoppy beer so maybe not. Looks like this is turning into a IIPA, which is definitely fine by me. Those estimated gravities kind of worry me though.

If you think the beer is too big then just decrease the grainbill a bit. If it's the estimated high FG that you're worried about then you can swap out some base malt for sugar - I often do 5-7% for a DIPA but other folks go higher. Mashing low and long helps with a more fermentable wort. Make sure to aerate it, and with such a small batch you shouldn't have issues with being able to pitch enough. I notice your mash is a little thick, that could favor a less fermentable wort though probably less important than temp. One thing you can do with bigger beers if you want to mash thinner but still do a good sparge is to collect more wort and do a longer boil.

I upped the mash water to 3.75 for 3 lbs. and I'm going to try to keep the temp at about 144 degrees for the 60 minutes. I cut the hops back a bit and upped the boil to 75 minutes. My sparge water is going to be about 4.5 quarts. I changed the software I'm using to do my calculations and things seem to be lining up better. ABV is about 6.1%, IBUs are at 82.7, OG is 1.063 and FG is 1.016. Might add a little cane sugar as well. I'm definitely brewing this tomorrow and I really appreciate the help. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back