Ingredient amounts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerbrew1

Reaction score
Hi
I just purchased a grain father. I got 6kgs of hoppy apa ingredients and I am a bit confused. Any help would be appreciated.

Going by the grainfather at 6kg of grain it says 6kg x 2.7 + 3.5L = 19.7L of water pre boil
On the instructions it says I got from the grain supplier it says 26.5 L preboil

Just wondering what I should go by ?

Well, first you ought to sit down and have a beer. :bigmug:

That's all I can advise. I just brew with extracts.

You might get a better response if you posted something like "Need Help with Grainfather." Perhaps you'll come up with something better than that while you drink that beer.

EDIT: Never mind. @Jag75 knows stuff and has posted.

Last edited:
Hey Farmerbrew , welcome to HBT! Congrats on your Grainfather and your new hobby. Dont go by the Gf booklet. Download the app. Its spot on . Ive had mine for 3+ years and love it.

One one side, you can go and use a full volume mash with no sparge. On the other side, you can have a thick mash and use a lot of sparge water. And there's everything in between. Any is good. All will make beer.

Thick mash will be 1 pound of grain per quart of water. You have 13 pounds, so that's 3 gallon, and sparge with 5. Nothing will break if you use 4 gallon and sparge with 4, or 5 and sparge with three. Full volume is also fine and also easier. Heat up 8 gallon of strike water, dump in your grain, maintain temp, collect 7 gallon, boil, rack 6 to the fermenter. Easy peasy.

You will get different efficiency, tho. But effeciency is something you adjust over time, as you whole process is involved and you need to know your gear. So in I would not worry about that for now.

Latest posts

Back