Inglourious Basterds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meh. I was way less than impressed.

I figured with a quality director and star cast we'd see something good, but man...20-30 minutes of that french countryside in the beginning wasted so much time that could have been a good movie.

I saw an older one at redbox...is this a remake? if so, weaksauce. should have made it BETTER by having more blood, guts, and funny.

outside of what you saw in the trailer, the rest was a waste of my time and money.

Huh. I'm seeing a lot of criticism over this movie. I thought it was fantastic. Christoph Waltz was incredible...one of the best villains ever. Brad Pitt was funny as hell.

I like my gore and all, but I really don't understand how "more blood" makes for a better movie. I guess watchin' nazis get bludgeoned to death isn't good enough.

Just curious...what would you have put in the first 20 minutes of the movie to make it better?

I thought the french countryside "standoff" was awesome.

Likewise the scene in the "basement" bar was beyond reproach.

Loved it. The Christoph Waltz character was amazing. I've never seen anyone transition across so many languages, in perfect accent, and yet come across as the strange, evil character he played. Less blood and guts, though still lots of it, and my favorite Tarrantino film.

I thought the french countryside "standoff" was awesome.

Likewise the scene in the "basement" bar was beyond reproach.

It's all about the pipe in the beginning :D

And, yeah...liked the basement scene, too. Another great villain there with the "King Kong" questions.

That is a Mexican stand-off and THAT WAS NOT THE DEAL! :D

Loved it. The Christoph Waltz character was amazing. I've never seen anyone transition across so many languages, in perfect accent, and yet come across as the strange, evil character he played. Less blood and guts, though still lots of it, and my favorite Tarrantino film.

The man is obviously already very talanted with language (not to mention eccentric yet subtle acting.) He was intimidating as hell.

I've been looking to see this since it came out. Missed it in the theaters (as well as every other movie since The Dark Knight), and haven't had any luck at the redbox with it.

Someday....

I didnt like the movie...

It was yet another anti-nazi movie that gets close to addressing the moral nuance of the situation, but ultimately misses. For that reason, it seemed a bit cliche to be honest, and much less than I would expect from the "god-who-wrote-and-directed-Pulp-Fiction."

The only good part of that movie was the french country opening scene - THAT is how you do dialogue.

My whole thing about the opening french countryside thing was that it took way too long and was WAY too much of a backstory, for something that (in the end) really wasn't all that important.

They built up the character too much, almost as if the movie was about her and not the Basterds....

Now, if that's the case, then it should have been called "French ***** vs Nazis".

I like my gore and all, but I really don't understand how "more blood" makes for a better movie.

I haven't seen the movie, but it's this type of mindset that has ruined movies into what they are. All people want to see is explosions, gore, fart jokes and tits. Nobody wants to have to think about what they're seeing and it's sad.

It was yet another anti-nazi movie that gets close to addressing the moral nuance of the situation, but ultimately misses. For that reason, it seemed a bit cliche to be honest, and much less than I would expect from the "god-who-wrote-and-directed-Pulp-Fiction."

The only good part of that movie was the french country opening scene - THAT is how you do dialogue.

I think you're misunderstanding what Quentin Tarantino does. He takes genres and exploits them, making tons of references and using great dialogue. Really, his dialogue is the only reason this works.

He was just masturbating with German Film history and exploitation films. Pulp Fiction is the same thing with actual pulp fiction.

My whole thing about the opening french countryside thing was that it took way too long and was WAY too much of a backstory, for something that (in the end) really wasn't all that important.

They built up the character too much, almost as if the movie was about her and not the Basterds....

Now, if that's the case, then it should have been called "French ***** vs Nazis".

I can kinda see that. She played a huge part, though, and I think the opening was more to present a few of the characters and to have the awesome dialogue. I mean...how else would they have presented The Jew Hunter?

what's wrong with fart jokes and tits?

Nothing, as long as the queef sisters don't come to town.

I loved the film, broke in my bluray player with this movie.

The other day I came across this Urban Dictionary Definition, Bonjourno: The way to greet a Nazi that speaks french when you are an American disguised as an Italian.

As with all of Q's work you have to see it a few times to pick up some subtleties. Q is a freakin' genius of enormous proportions and the fact that he said prior to making this movie he hanged out with Brad Pitt on his French vineyard and Brad pulled out a huge chunk of Hash and they proceeded to burn away and talk about the movie has given me a new respect for Mr. Pitt. Apparently the after story is that Angie heard this on the radio and FREAKED out, Brad apparently promised her that he was not doing that anymore... get real *****, with what 8 kids he's only going to do that MORE!

Great movie, see it a few times... and as someone smart on here said, it's about the dialog and each individual scene more than the entire movie.

:mug:

As with all of Q's work you have to see it a few times to pick up some subtleties. Q is a freakin' genius of enormous proportions and the fact that he said prior to making this movie he hanged out with Brad Pitt on his French vineyard and Brad pulled out a huge chunk of Hash and they proceeded to burn away and talk about the movie has given me a new respect for Mr. Pitt. Apparently the after story is that Angie heard this on the radio and FREAKED out, Brad apparently promised her that he was not doing that anymore... get real *****, with what 8 kids he's only going to do that MORE!

Great movie, see it a few times... and as someone smart on here said, it's about the dialog and each individual scene more than the entire movie.

:mug:

I havn't seen it yet, but I trust Q to deliver something worthwhile to my grey matter. I agree, it might take a while to sink in, but the guy is a true artist.

I thought it was a collection of good scenes that kind of simmer slowly and climax (like the French scene mentioned), but the film didn't really cohere for me, overall I thought it was a bit of a Turkey and I honestly can't remember what the story was.

I saw an older one at redbox...is this a remake?

From what I've looked into, this is not a remake of "The Inglorious Bastards".

As far as my opinion of the movie, it wasn't what I expected either. In truth, I also expected more action based on the trailers. However, less action is not a down point here, in my opinion. The slow moving farm scene in the beginning is a great setup for the villain.

A couple of things that caught me by surprise were the fact that it was an alternate history piece and the fact that it was pretty real-world gruesome at points. Obviously, it's not as gory as a lot of our modern day horror movies, but I didn't expect it to be. So I was surprised with what I got.

Anyway, I enjoyed it and own the DVD.

The moral nuance? OK, that is debateable, but you are WRONG sir about "the only good part" That basement bar scene is incredible.

I haven't seen the movie, but it's this type of mindset that has ruined movies into what they are. All people want to see is explosions, gore, fart jokes and tits. Nobody wants to have to think about what they're seeing and it's sad.

Agreed! Although total gross out gore with intelligence has it's place, I didn'tmean to imply that it wasn't good because it wasn't gory, I just expected more gore from the god who made KILL BILL.

And there are Brits in it, too! You'll love it! :D

That british movie critic is the biggest bad ass in the film!

I hear that. I just hope everyhing doesn't come out in 3D from this point forward :mad:

Oh no.... Not the usual stuffed shirts waiting for America to save them again as usually depicted in hollywood war movies? ......Oh yes, this is Q. I'll just have to wait and see.

lol...uh...no, but there is some "fumbling"...you'll have to see it :D

The basement bar scene was brilliant. It was extremely tense and the shootout at the end was the perfect punctuation. "There's a special rung in hell reserved for people who waste good scotch. And seeing as I might be rapping on the door momentarily..." Absolutely classic.

i dont know, it actually was a well made film, with good acting and dialogue, but maybe im just tired of nazi films. its such an easy way to get attention for a film, especially when it expresses our not so hidden desire to nazi bash.

Loved the movie.

At first, with the country scene, I was like WTH?? but once I realized what was going on I totally got into it. Yes, the basement scene was AWESOME.

My one *****, and this goes for other movies as well is the Close Captioning. When you have to do the close captioning stuff, PLEASE make the letters a different color than the background. I do not enjoy having to stop the movie cause feel I've missed something important.

Loved the movie.

At first, with the country scene, I was like WTH?? but once I realized what was going on I totally got into it. Yes, the basement scene was AWESOME.

My one *****, and this goes for other movies as well is the Close Captioning. When you have to do the close captioning stuff, PLEASE make the letters a different color than the background. I do not enjoy having to stop the movie cause feel I've missed something important.

YOU MISSED THE POINT!!!!!

Terrentino tore apart all the movies where the nazi's speak english (when it's supposed to be german) and how crappy that makes scenes where a good guy is posing as a german and trying to master the accent WHEN EVERYONE IS SPEAKING ENGLISH!!!!!!..........

Sorry, learn German.;) SWMBO is the same way as you.

Terrentino tore apart all the movies where the nazi's speak english (when it's supposed to be german) and how crappy that makes scenes where a good guy is posing as a german and trying to master the accent WHEN EVERYONE IS SPEAKING ENGLISH!!!!!!..........

I couldnt care less about the point. It annoyed me.

Und ich kenne genung. :drunk:

You mean kinda like these English spies trying to pose as French Gendarmerie?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back