****ing Moles!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurel

Reaction score
We just bought our house a few months ago and I've recently begun attacking the ignored and overgrown landscape. I was out cutting stuff back the other day when I came across mole tunnels and hills! They weren't there when we bought the house, but they're there now!

I want these puppies gone for good. Finances are tight, but I want to use the most effective method to get and keep them gone; I have a great deal of landscaping ahead of me and I don't want it upset by those damn rodents.

Do you have any experience with them? I'd love to hear about it, and address the problem before my yard starts to look like WWI battlefield.

Be they moles or be they gophers? IIRC mole tunneling you can see on the surface but gophers you just get the mound of dirt at the hole opening.

We used to have gophers in our back yard as a kid. Here's the remedies that worked:

1. We had a german shepherd that would stand over the hills and bite them when they stuck their heads up.

2. My mom would flood the tunnels with the garden hose.

3. My mom would use my dad's air powered pellet gun and shoot them.

Ferment some apfelwein near the holes. They'll think the yard has been invaded by flatulent rhinoceroses.

Sorry, I didn't realize from the topic title you were saying you didn't like the moles. I thought it was some bestial practise you were proposing!!!!!!

Watching caddyshack might provide some good ideas, but only if you want to kill all the golfers. er gophers

I've heard from some people that those spike traps work good. Back when I lived in Michigan I tried all kinds of things and I couldn't get rid of them on 2.5 acres. After a neighbor got a few outdoor cats that roamed all over I stopped seeing them, so I assume they were killing them

go to lowes. they have a battery-powered little post that you drive into the ground, and emit some high-pitched beeps every 23 seconds. It's worked fur us so far.

We had gophers for a long time. We tried every thing from the garden hose to pumping CO from the car through the tunnels with very little success. Both moles and gophers are very light sensitive. When you disturb the burrows they know it and stay away. We finally got rid of them by digging up sections of the burrow placing spring traps that were staked to the ground, then covering the area with a sheet of plywood to block the light. Once a day we would move the traps to any new burrows that we found. Within a couple weeks no more gophers. It was a lot less work than redoing the landscaping once a month.

I'm gonna try flooding them out and shooting them. I'd like to use my 10/22 with CB rounds but I think it's illegal to discharge a firearm where I live. Maybe I'll call the police department to make sure. If not, I'll ask hwmbo's dad to bring a bb gun home from their cabin so I can use that.

If not, I'll try poison or traps, but I doubt those are as satisfying as shooting them.

It sounds like you might have gophers rather than moles. I hate them and since our cat died they are back moving into our yard. I have had pretty good success with a Gopher Getter. As you dig up for future landscaping it is a good idea to put in gopher screens before planting.

ggjr_medium.jpg

Just get a Maltese. Hes killed 2 of my daughters hamsters already and we have no moles (in the back yard).

A buddy of mine said to me "The moles are there because they are digging for grubs in your lawn - get rid of the grubs and the moles go away"

He laid down grub killer and the problem went bye bye.
-Me

A buddy of mine said to me "The moles are there because they are digging for grubs in your lawn - get rid of the grubs and the moles go away"

He laid down grub killer and the problem went bye bye.
-Me

+1 for the Grubex. The house I live in had moles for years. We started putting down Grubex and they went away.

I worked for a lawn care service a few years ago and what joemamma said is true they will dig up your yard looking for grubs.
There are pesticides that you can buy for the grubs and the moles.You said that finances are tight so there are some cheap home remedies for the rodents although they sound off the wall they do work.
Besides the methods mentioned with shooting them that would be fun juicy fruit gum they love that stuff broke off in little pieces thrown in there holes they will eat it but cant digest and they will die.Human hair and different types of urine also.Told you they were off the wall but hell have the hwmbo suck down some homebrew go out the back with the bb gun and piss in the holes if it dont work it might repel your neighbors if they see him out there lol.
Mole Information | Pest Control

Back