@#$%ing FDA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodeRage

Death by Magumba!
Reaction score
I dont get it.... My 9 month old son has a head cold and is just miserable. Apparently the FDA has suggested that stores pull infant/tolder cold medicine off the shelfs. Why, because too many idiot parents cant follow directions and overdose their children. I understand it isnt going to make the cold pass any faster but he wouldnt be nearly as miserable. I feel bad for the little guy.
/rant

I am having this Problem too but however, they did not Pull the Childrens Tylonol and cold off the shelf at least here anyway.It works really well.

That's too bad, man.

FWIW, as I've understood the issue, it's because none of those medicines have been tested on real young children, so there's some legitimate concerns about their safety. Doesn't help when the little one can't get to sleep, but from my understanding, it's not *just* stupid parents that are to blame.

the_bird said:
FWIW, as I've understood the issue, it's because none of those medicines have been tested on real young children, so there's some legitimate concerns about their safety. Doesn't help when the little one can't get to sleep, but from my understanding, it's not *just* stupid parents that are to blame.

I would almost agree but this stuff has been around since the 60s and 40 years later they decide that this may not be a good idea. Another reason was 'These drugs dont aleviate symptoms very well if at all,' I'm calling shennaningans!
It's akin to the trans fat ban to me.

What bothers me is I imagine this places even more pressure on pediatritions. Plus taking the boy to the doctor to get some relief from the sniffles is not only stupid but expensive.

Oh well, Im gonna go place an order for some canadian todler tylenol cold :rolleyes:

This law will produce unintended consequences. What it will most likely do is force some parents to unwisely give their kids cold medicine for adults and just try to guess on the dosage.

Once again we have the march of the nanny state government busy bodies sticking their noses into our personal lives. :mad:

Virtuous said:
I dont get it.... My 9 month old son has a head cold and is just miserable. Apparently the FDA has suggested that stores pull infant/tolder cold medicine off the shelfs. Why, because too many idiot parents cant follow directions and overdose their children. I understand it isnt going to make the cold pass any faster but he wouldnt be nearly as miserable. I feel bad for the little guy.
/rant

I was told it was actually the APA that pushed for this. I have learned this much tho', a teaspoon of honey for a cough works better and longer than a half teaspoon of pedia cure cough. And a Vicks vaporizer with Vaposteam is the best decongestant money can buy. My boy is 18 months old. If you child is less than a year DONT give him/her the honey. Something to do with them not being able to precess it.

I thought I read they pulled it because there was no evidence it actually helped at all. Placebo tests showed the placedo "helped" the same as the medicine did. Could be completely wrong though.

I second the honey. There was a study done on it recently, and we decided to try it. The littlest one that had a cough got a teaspoon each night before bed. His elder brother got a Tablespoon. You know what, they went from hacking the night away (even when we were giving them DM) to a really good night's sleep. They still coughed a little, but not enough to wake them. So to even show this even further, one night I forgot to give them the Honey. So they woke up and for some reason I gave them the DM. They spent the whole night coughing and were up on and off. This was about after the third night of administering Honey. The next night they went back on Honey and viola, restful sleep!

Gila, when the infant's digestive track still has nooks and crannies they can get infant Botulism from the honey because it is an anaerobic environment.

Tex, I read that too with a jaundiced eye. The funny thing about placebos is you have to possess some kind of expectation about what should happen. I very much doubt Chase can discern the affect between cold medicine and his bottle.

I did run out to the store and get some baby vapor rub, I wasnt expecting much. He went down much easier tonight and sounded alot less congested so I think we found a winner.
+1 on the Vics vapor rub!

I knew it wasnt good to give <1yr old honey but I thought it was due to possible allergens. It is what the stuff is made of. Never would of thought botulism. Good to know.

no beer, just a splash of crown :drunk:

Bird, you taking notes? :)

Some pics of the little booger
l_38d2b26060324c279a1d5094b6c4c831.jpg

m_b5bdfb90ab6a90226f690f8daca8fd1a.jpg

We were told to try some vapor rub on the bottom of the feet to supress a cough. I thought it was a bunch of BS but it actually worked! Why I have no idea.

The problem is that the effect of cold medicine at a specific dose per pound of the patient is fairly consistent once you pass about two years of age all of the way through adulthood, but under two, the effects are significantly more inconsistent. It most likely has to do with the different rate at which childrens' systems develop. In any case, the inconsistency wasn't just that it was less effective, but in some cases was harmful.

Cookiebaggs said:
We were told to try some vapor rub on the bottom of the feet to supress a cough. I thought it was a bunch of BS but it actually worked! Why I have no idea.
I'm no doctor, though I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night...I'm pretty sure it has a lot to do with the camphor gets into the blood stream through the skin...;)

Placing it on the feet versus near the face is probably a safety precaution. Even adults get that stuff in their eyes and start screaming...;)

Babies can still put their feet in their mouths though. Literally, as opposed to figuratively the way adults do ;)

GilaMinumBeer said:
If you child is less than a year DONT give him/her the honey. Something to do with them not being able to precess it.
its not that they cant process it is that it causes potchalizem. Honey has botcholi in small amounts (or what ever its called) but at about a year old our bodies can handle it an infents immune system cannot I personally would wait untill 18 months before giving up your mead LOL:D
JJ

Back