Infusion questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerme70

Reaction score
I've been reviewing recipes in The Brew-Master's Bible. A lot of the recipes call for single, double, and sometimes triple decoction, or step mashing (for instance, bock calls for single, double, or triple decoction, cream ale calls for step mashing, and all the wheat beers call for low temp rests with single or double decoction, or step mashing. Can these beers be successfully brewed with single temp infusion?

Definately search the site for decoction... this has been talked about before. I believe there are very few occasions that a decoction is "required". Many folks are migrating to the single infusion.

So far, personally, I've only done single infusion... and certainly have successfully produced wheat beers.... currently enjoying a Belgium Wheat... hope this helps.

You could do a decoction mash if you want to make a German lager. For a wheat beer, I would recommend doing a protein rest (~122) for about 20 minutes, then crank it up to alpha/beta rest temp. I have been doing a protein rest when I make a wheat beer with good results, the lautering is easy, and it works for me. Just my advice.

Is there and effective way to do that when using a cooler for a mlt? obviously I can't add heat to it. I guess it's just a matter of using x amount of water for your protein rest, then adding x amount of water at y temperature to bring the total up to the desired mash temp?

Decoction mashes are for undermodified malts. You do not need to do it with todays malts as a whole as they are fully modified already. Always pay attention when buying malts from Germany as they do have some undermodified malts available for those who want to decoction mash.

Back