infusing stout with nitro

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRL

Reaction score
I am curious...

I went to local brewery that had a awesome tasting stout on tap but it is carbonated and served with only CO2.

Is it just me or are beers with nitro seems more bodily / creamy / have that texture none of the co2 carbed beers have.?

If I bought a keg of that stout that was carbed with just CO2 and wanted to infuse it with a nitro beer gas mix (so the usual 70/30)
would I get that creamy bodied stout?

Or would i have to burp the stout and then re carb it with the nitro beer gas mix? or is there alot more to it then just changing the gas to gie it that body im looking for.

The nitrogen does not actually dissolve into the beer. Because it is insoluble a high pressure mixture of CO2 and Nitrogen will still have a low partial pressure of CO2, resulting in a carbonation while having a high serving pressure. (commercially on most faucets beer gas setups are used because of the long serving distance). The creamy effect is from forcing the beer through a small orifice in the faucet at high pressure.

Short answer, yea you can serve anything on a nitro/CO2 line. You will need to rebalance and use a stout faucet. The beer might be already more highly carbonated than you want though.

yea the plan would be to use the typical stout faucet / set up and serve at the "normal" pressure stouts are served at which is aprox 25-30psi if I remember right.

so I can attempt to serve it but I may need to burp the stout for a few days so I can get it to a correct carbonated level for the beer gas mix im using.

so I can attempt to serve it but I may need to burp the stout for a few days so I can get it to a correct carbonated level for the beer gas mix im using.

Yes, initially it will be overcarbonated, so you'll need to decarb it a bit before you'll be able to serve without it being a foam bomb on the stout setup.

awesome... thinking ill give it a whirl on a smaller 20L keg and see how it turns out... as long as I get my xmas wishlist and get my stout tap and new co2 tank i asked for lol

Is this a corny keg or a Sankey? If corny you can connect the gas to the beer out and vent the keg a couple times. The surface area of the "large" bubbles of CO2 (or beer gas) help lower the dissolved CO2 levels and decarb quickly.

its a sanke keg otherwise that would of been a good idea for me!

Back