Infrared USB camera in ferm chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neckbeardbeer

Reaction score
I'm setting up a Raspberry Pi to monitor temps and I was thinking adding a webcam to it would be a nice touch. Anyone know if the infrared light (I ferment in a freezer) will harm the beer? Anyone done this before and have some pro tips?

From my reading on the subject, it appears that the portion of the electromagnetic spectrum that creates skunking by interacting with hop compounds is the ultraviolet band and the lower portion of the visible band, violet and blue. Since the infrared band is above the visible band, it may not present a problem.

From my reading on the subject, it appears that the portion of the electromagnetic spectrum that creates skunking by interacting with hop compounds is the ultraviolet band and the lower portion of the visible band, violet and blue. Since the infrared band is above the visible band, it may not present a problem.

Yeah! Science!

image.jpg

haha....if watching beer ferment is what constitutes entertainment in your house, remind me not to come over for a visit!

If you excuse me, I'll be outside watching my grass grow and my paint dry.

haha....if watching beer ferment is what constitutes entertainment in your house, remind me not to come over for a visit!

If you excuse me, I'll be outside watching my grass grow and my paint dry.

Someone at work mentioned I should add it and it's a low cost addition that would be pretty funny to show people. I do agree it's absolutely ridiculous.

Guess I'll give it a whirl.

IR will stretch and bend your molecules, but will not break any bonds. So, IR shouldn't harm the beer.

The only thing that may happen is damage to the IR Camera from being in the fridge unless it was an outdoor one. Condensation does build up in there each time the door is opened.

I'm thinking if you vent the fermenter into the fridge the co2 level would get pretty high and be corrosive, so it may or may not harm the beer but would probably harm the camera.

Back