Info on Sanke Keg HLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Indiana Red

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
1. Do you, should you pound out a (small) flat spot where the hole is going so the fitting will seal better. esp if it is the weldless, "O" ring type? I didn't think of this till after but still could I guess.
2. It also occurred to me that you cant make the hole low enough to get ALL the water out, as the bottom is curved. So do you just take this into consideration and deal with the fact that you just have to do a little math when measuring water out of it? I think I just answered my own Q here, just looking for what others do.
3. I put the hole quite low and it intersects the line, or the pinch, or the crease or what have you that runs arouns the outside of my. I assume typical, keg. I don't know if the weldless bulkhead "O" rings will seal against this now. Screwed that up. I may have to have it welded instead.
Any helpfull advice on these points?

david_42

Reaction score
If it leaks, remove the weldless fitting and grind the area flat and smooth. If it doesn't, start brewing!

cweston

Reaction score
Indiana Red said:
2. It also occurred to me that you cant make the hole low enough to get ALL the water out, as the bottom is curved. So do you just take this into consideration and deal with the fact that you just have to do a little math when measuring water out of it? I think I just answered my own Q here, just looking for what others do.
The usual strategy is to have a short siphon tube that extends from the inside of the "bulkhead" down to the center of the keg. This probably takes a threaded-to-compression fitting and a length of copper tubing.

Lounge Lizard

Reaction score
I e-mailed the Weld-B-Gone people about hole placement a month or so ago. Unfortunately, I never heard back from them. To be fair, I think there is a problem with their e-mail form on the Zymico website.

What I did, was to take the big brass nut that fits on the bulkhead fitting outside of the keg, and found a spot low enough down to where it didn't rock too much. If you move the nut too low, it will rock because of the keg curving under. I moved it up until it just rocked a little, then took a marker and marked a spot on the keg in the center of the threaded opening of the nut. A little rocking is fine, because the silicone o-ring will take up the slack. Make any sense?

I tightened the crapola out of it from the inside and no leaks. When I put the ball valve on the bulkhead fitting, it was angled down somewhat. I can live with that. I think that is normal.

As far as what you should do now, it's hard to say. Can you post a picture?

PS: This was on my mash/lauter tun. I may or may not put a short siphon tube in my HLT. It seems like a graduated a sight glass would be a lot easier than measuring how much water you put into the HLT.

Latest posts