Info on lalvin KI-V1116

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Panetta

Reaction score
Never used lalvin KI-V1116 before. Using about 20 to 24 lbs(this all depends on what honey I use. Some are 5lb bottles and some are 12lb bottles) and maybe some brown sugar. I'm looking a starting grav of or close to 2. Yes, I plan on using nutrients. Did some research on boob tube and know this yeast will a 15lbs honey mead. What I want to know is how will it handle what I'm looking to do? Is it a low foam like lalvin ec-1118? Turbo yeast ran though my gourd which I may do. Is turbo yeast a low foam as well?

Your correct! 2. Was off the top of my head. More like 1.155for starting grav. I never used a hydrometer till this year. I was taught just short of the medieval method BY MEDIEVALISTS 27 yrs ago. Pitch all into a container and leave the rest to Odin! LOL!

Last edited:
I suggest that you limit your ABV to 14% or below if you want to drink your mead in less than a year or so. More isn't always better. I like 3 lbs of honey per gallon of must which starts out at 1.100 and makes 13% ABV mead. Very drinkable in just a couple months. Odin would approve.

Odds are that's where it will end up. I also found out that this yeast is also a low foam like ec-1118.

Perhaps you should scale it back to a 1 gallon batch and see if you like it. Everyone has different tastes, and a high ABV mead with that particular yeast may end up having flavors that may not suit you.

Back