Info on Apple wine (noob)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opXus

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new to winemaking. I have been making beer for awhile and would like to try something in addition. I will have the ability to get FRESH pressed apple cider in october. Just looking for some info. I read the sticky about apfelwein and just had some questions.

1) With using apple cider do I need to transer to a secondary due to the lack of filtration?

2) What yeast should I use? Would be nice if you could provide a reason.

3) How much sugar should I add? Should it be corn sugar or table sugar?

4) Do I need any other additives? Campden tablets? Tannin? etc

Thanks in advance.

I understand this is a noob post but hopefully you folks will be gentle!

Ferment On! :mug: :tank: :rockin:

I have a killer recipe for that one. I am not near my notes at the time so I can post it later today. This stuff will warm you from the inside out. Perfect if your in the woods when its cold.

I have a killer recipe for that one. I am not near my notes at the time so I can post it later today. This stuff will warm you from the inside out. Perfect if your in the woods when its cold.

That would be great. Since I am very new to the homemade wine any info on recipe etc would be helpful! Thanks!

Cheers,
:mug:
opXus

I am somewhat new as well. I been making wine for just a year and this is the recipe that got me "hooked". The main recipe is a basic apple out of a wine kit. But I made this one my own and it turned out great! I would recommend when you bottle to bottle some in beer bottles so you can taste the change as its aging so you don't " waste" as much waiting for the aged stuff. Small sized wine corks will fit beer bottles. OK so here it is...this is for 1 gallon of wine. 1 gallon apple cider, 1lb sugar, 1 1/2 tsp acid blend, 1/2 pectic enzyme, 1/4 tsp tannin, 1 tsp nutrient, 1 campden, 1pkg champagne yeast. The pack of yeast will be good for the whole 5 gallons. Later 1 tsp antioxidant and potassium sorbate. I racked 3 times before I bottled. The first 2 in 3 week intervals. When I racked the last time I did this. Added for all 5 gallons a sugar syrup."1 cup water 2cup sugar and heat it just enough to devolve the sugar " I divided it up into 5 1 gallon secondarys. Added the sorbate, antioxidant and 1 cinnamon stick per gallon. I let it sit for another 2 weeks an bottled. And don't worry the whiskey taste will mellow in time. That will be around 14% abv

That apple wine will be at its best after a year. Drinkable after 6mo. In the bottle. When first starting out it really is fun to taste it as it ages that gives you a good concept on what's going on inside the bottles. A year to its peak is fast for a wine. For example I've done "instant" wines that didn't get really good till they were in the bottle for 8 mo. But when you can make wine for under 2.00 a bottle its worth it.

Thanks..... I understand that wine is a bit of a different animal than beer. Aging is always the hard part! Just waiting haha. Thanks for the reply.

Back