Influenza, here we go again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illmatija

Reaction score
On Monday started feeling a bit bad but hey, I gotta bottle my latest dry hopped APA, which I did in the evening.

~20th batch so far, no infections yet, followed usual procedure, mixed the priming sugar quite well with the beer racked on top, sanitized everything and bottled.

Got a fever that night.

Turns out it was likely influenza that had been spreading around the workplace.

So yeah, I did a bunch of reading and I know a lot of people live by the 'no known pathogens can live in beer' but there seems to be a confusion between 'live' and 'can survive the brewing process' which makes people believe in that.

So given it's a virus that might have been introduced a little bit while mixing the contents of the bottling bucket, does anyone have any information on what are the chances it could survive in the bottles?

Cheers

Oh yeah, that'd be cracking, krackin! Obviously I thought of that valiant idea, however I did plan to send this to some contests so I had to wonder.

Oh yeah, that'd be cracking, krackin! Obviously I thought of that valiant idea, however I did plan to send this to some contests so I had to wonder.

meh, your beer will be scored before anyone gets sick.....

Just kidding, as mentioned above, viruses are not good at surviving outside the body in most cases.

Bacterial spore formers are the "tough" guys that can survive through almost anything. Viruses are weaklings outside their hosts.

Back