Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Are these yeast floats? It's been 16 days since brew day and I've never seen a collection like this show up on the walls of my carboys. Going to check it tonight, but thought I'd get your insights during the long work day? Is there cause for concern? Thanks!

Ps. This is an Northern English Ale, and my first time using dry yeast
Infection?.jpg

Thanks for the response, BrewMan13. That's a relief! I'd seen floaters like this on the surface before, but hadn't seen them clinging to the sides. Cheers!
You're very welcome. I notice it more with some brews than others, but certainly nothing to worry about. Just did an imperial stout and it did something similar, but not that pronounced.

Curious what yeast you used?

You can give the carboy a quick back and forth twist and break some of it loose. Not too brisk as you may cause a geyser. Done this a few times myself, sans geyser.

All the Best,
D. White

Hey dwhite60, thanks for the advice. It was Safale S-04 Dry Yeast.

I'm happy to report that I the batch, yesterday, and it turned out beautifully!
No infection.

Yeah just looks like a vigorous fermentation with a particularly sticky yeast. Sounds right for S-04.

If you pull the bung is it clear in the middle of the beer? If so, definitely nothing to do about yeast stuck to the side. If you are finding yeast clumps floating all over the surface you could consider a gentle cold crash to drop out the yeast but not drop out everything in the beer. Think like 40F for a day or less rather than the usual 32F for a day or more.

Back