infection ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FEARDIZ

Reaction score
I think my beer is infected.. it has a nasty aftertaste.. it seems fine at first and doesn't smell or look bad.. the after taste is chemicaly and bitter..
or maybe it just needs to sit longer? It's brewers best english brown ale, extract

I've tasted a little right after the boil when I take my OG and that doesn't taste good either, very bitter

thoughts?
anyone live near Bloomingdale, IL want to try it?

Just cooked wort taste bad...And unless it's been in the bottles for at least 3 weeks, you really can't judge a beer. It's really hard to infect a batch of beer if you've followed even the most minimal sanitization procedure....Your beer is just "green."

I take it this is your first batch?....SO you're just facing typical first timer jitters...And trying it too soon then thinking it's infected is typical. :D

You may want to read through this thread here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=54362 It covers a lot of info and tips, and you'll see that letting the beer condition is the most important thing.

So relax...and get brewing on your next batch...it'll take your mind off this one, and will let the "Magic" of bottle conditioning happen.

What was the fermentation temp? [thread=36225]I've had batches that fermented too warm[/thread], and they tasted harsh and chemically. It might go away with time.

I agree to. What you really need to do is to let them condition later especially if you want to remove some of the bitterness of the beer.

I used the 1-2-3 meathod, so it's been in bottles for about 4 weeks now
no this isn't my 1st batch..

Beerthoven said:
What was the fermentation temp? [thread=36225]I've had batches that fermented too warm[/thread], and they tasted harsh and chemically. It might go away with time.

somewhere between 75-65 on the bucket

Revvy said:
What was your brewing process on that batch? What tem did you steep your grains at? I'm wondering if it's tannins....

Have you compared your off flavors to the chart in how to brew? It might help.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

it's hard to describe, it's really the aftertaste.. is that a normal way to taste the off flavor?

it's not Acetaldehyde, not think the alocholic description fits, maybe Astringency but there is no powedery, wouldn't say cidery, not butter or butterscotch flavor ( Diacetyl ), not really sure what the Dimethyl Sulfides (DMS)/ Cooked Vegetable Flavors are ( don't think it fits ), not fruity, not grassy, Husky / Grainy is that a taste?? not sure what that is, medicinal seems like a good fit ( I don't have any bleach cleaners )( well maybe dish soap, but I rinse the bucket well), maybe metallic, not moldy, not Oxidation, maybe soapy but the condition doesn't seem to fit, maybe solvent-like, not skunky, not sure about yeasty..

:confused:

another issue with differnet batches, seems like the 1st glass is fine and the 2nd one gets the taste like above.. very weird..

Are you using liquid malt extract. If you are having a similar issue between different batches of beers, it could be what is known as extract "twang". Some liquid extracts, esp. if they have been stored a long time impart a unique flavor to homebrewed beers. This twang is more prevalant in light to medium beers. Best solution is to switch to Dried Malt Extract (DME). Keep in mind it's a bit more expensive, but you may be able to keep costs down if you use DME with a partial AG mash.

Good Luck.

McKBrew said:
Are you using liquid malt extract. If you are having a similar issue between different batches of beers, it could be what is known as extract "twang". Some liquid extracts, esp. if they have been stored a long time impart a unique flavor to homebrewed beers. This twang is more prevalant in light to medium beers. Best solution is to switch to Dried Malt Extract (DME). Keep in mind it's a bit more expensive, but you may be able to keep costs down if you use DME with a partial AG mash.

Good Luck.

I belive the kit used both LME and DME.. If this is a extract twang, does it go away or do you just have to deal with it?

Back