Infection???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

szyma1ba

Reaction score
This is my first batch of beer... A Hefeweizen. I racked to carboy after 8 days and has been in carboy for 4. I have noticed floating white film with bubbles, had gotten bigger since I noticed them but not much, is this sign of infection or something else?? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1387506406.548491.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1387506416.098406.jpg

Can't tell if that is fuzz or bubbles. If it has hair, it's an infection.

If it is just bubbles, don't worry about it.

Infections are usually more random. If it is in a circle pattern, you're probably in the clear. Granted, I've never experienced an infection first hand (knock on wood).

First time jitters are a wall that everyone needs to hurdle over. The same thing happens when a primary doesn't "bubble." The old adage, "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!" comes to mind. What seems to be wrong is usually just a variation on what's normal. Everything is always alright. If it's infected...make a lambic! There is no fail.

Looks good! If you ever see a skin forming on top, then worry. Some left over krausen or some bubbles is normal though. Congrats, you have beer.

Back