Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbbransc

Reaction score
Opened up my chocolate oatmeal stout yesterday to rack to secondary (on nibs) and this is what I see on top. Is it an infection?

<can anyone see that pic?>

The bubbles looked like an infection. The kind I got on that broken ice pack lookin lacto infection I had.

Not to start another thread on this cause their's a bazillion.

I think I'm going to be ok but thought I'd post this pic of my secondary because at first I thought it might be infected. Can't see the pics in this thread, but does your beer look like this?

Several things of note.

1. It's still bubbling around once every minute in the glass carboy. Is it supossed to do that? At close glance the floaties in this pic seem to be little bubbles.

2. When I racked this to Secondary, I may have sucked up a little too much of the yeast cake, becasue I see a pretty good layer on the bottom of the carboy. So I'm figuring their might be some more action still happening and that is why I'm getting airlock activity and bubbles.

3. My gravity when racking was pretty low. 1.008. Was only supossed to finish around 1.015. This is a Belgian Dubbel. I've read that lower gravity could mean bacteria could still be converting sugar.

So should I relax and have a homebrew?

2014-01-07_17-13-41_271_zpsmpzxitme.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

^It does look like there's some filmy white in there. Being 7 points lower than expected already,I'd say chances are good that it's infected. To the op,it did look like the begining of a lacto infection,but you may've at least slowed it down by racking out from under it. That's what happened with mine when I racked out from under a worse looking one & it turned out fine. It was another batch of my all NZ-hopped Maori IPA.

Nope. My brew was rancid when it came time to bottle. First batch dumped. I cleaned and sanitized everything well afterwards so hopefully there will be no residual infections. I have an APA fermenting now so we'll see.

Well based on this thread It looks like mine might be C02 bubbles, so I'm hoping for the best. If mbbransc's looks similar, you should just ride it out bro.....

Latest posts

Back