Infection or yeast floaties?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhys333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm about to bottle my hefe and noticed a few floaters on top where the last of the krausen used to be. Do you guys think ita okay or an infection? Btw, the yeast is wy3068.

1401683089382.jpg

...it does look worse in the pic than real life by the way. The floaters are actually tiny. Not greasy or skinned over either.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Home Brew mobile app

Looks like clumps of yeast rafts to me, but I'm only a few brews into this obsession myself!

I'm sure a more veteran brewer will be along shortly to give you a better opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Did you dry hop? That might be hop particles grouping up on the surface.

A lot of people worry about infections, I read. I have pretty much come to realise that you need to be very, very unlucky to get one. I mean, my hygiene isn't spectacular (not careless, but also not fanatic). I've made somewhere around 60 5-gal batches of this and that and never had an infection yet. Or maybe we just don't have wild bacteria here in Finland - yeah, right ;-)

Thanks for the feedback both. I was a bit concerned as this was my first time top-cropping yeast from the primary. Farting around in the fermenter scooping up yeast while its busy doing its thing, I wasn't sure. You're right by the way podz... obsessing too much about something that rarely happens.

I bottled it and all seemed fine. I didn't dry hop, but it clung to the primary after racking the beer out and it seemed normal. Nothing funky anyway.

Latest posts

Back