Infection or just yeast / krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhindian

Reaction score
Hey all, I made my first gluten free beer which also was my first try with using Whirlfloc as well. I went down to my basement to take a gravity reading a few days ago and saw this. There was also some mild airlock activity even though it was about 11 days after brewing. However, it was a little cold early in the week and warmed up to about 65 that day, so it may have just been some yeast reactivating?

I decided to give it a few more days and took a reading today. The top cleared a little since the picture but there still is about half of the top being covered.

OG was around 1.050 and the reading today was 1.006. Using WB-06. The sample was a little tart but not overly so, so dunno if that is from the sorghum or what..

Thoughts?

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/7532/zf52.jpg

zf52.jpg

Well here is my completely unprofessional opinion; it looks fine. Probably just some yeast rafts and the airlock activity is probably due to your unsteady basement temperatures which is causing Co2 off gassing....

Thanks for the insight, guys!

I guess it was a combination of things that made me ask...

Still a little troubled by the 1.006 reading... Seems a bit low for the amount of fermentables and the yeast strain, no? I read that an infection could keep on eating which worried me a bit.

Back