Infection or Just Good Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grim_Ale

Reaction score
I checked on my IIPA i have brewing today because i need to add my dry hops once most of the fermentation is over.

Today is day 10 and there is still very active bubbles, about 1 every 2 seeconds, and looking in the carboy there are still little bubbles flying all over the place in the wort and there is still about 1/2 " of foam and the top of the beer.

Just want to know when I should expect the ferm to slow so I can take a hydrometer reading and add my hops.

the OG was 1.084 and I used a 2L starter with 2 vials of White Labs Cal Ale Yeast

Thanks.

If it were my beer, I'd wait at LEAST another week. A big beer like that can take some time to ferment out, and will benefit from time on the yeast. Also, if there's still activity (swirling and off gassing), the action can scrub the hop aromas out and give you less nose from your dry hops.

+1 I would wait at least another week. If it were me i would leave it in primary for at least 3 weeks, i've heard many threads on this site saying to go a month for beers over 1.070 just to make sure you get not only good attenuation but also so the yeast clean up after themselves. Then i would transfer the beer to a secondary fermentation vessel on top of the hops. If you just add them on the top of the primary you won't get the exposure to the hops you would probably want.

Let that baby go!!

Be patient it WILL be worth it. I NEVER look back wishing i had transfered a beer earlier it's always the oposite.

Well ive been told by several people tha tthey always dry hop in primary and only secondary when adding fruits or the like.

Ive also read the pros and cons of transfering to a secondary.

Mostly that secondaries are great if you are going out of town or something happens all of a sudden when its time to bottle and you cant bottle for a while.

The cons were that it isnt needed when dry hopping because racking over to a secondary can introduce oxygen to the beer and in some cases bacterial infections and wild yeasts.

Ive used a secondary twice and never had any of those problems but as it stands I only have a primary at the moment. My 5 Gal Glass Carboy. I let a friend borrow the plastic fermenter plus when i get my taxes back i plan on buying a 6.5 gal primary and a 6 or 5 gal for additional brew or secondaries.

Im drinking these homebrews down too fast to be brewing only 5 gals at a time.

But I understand about co2 scrubbing off the aroma but ive never heard anyone having problems with dry hopping in primary after ferm is done.

Trust me though, if I could i would rack it off the yeast and do it that way, i just cant at the moment.

Oh ok i see. I didn't know you didn't have a secondary fermenter at the moment. I only use secondary when dry hopping or adding oak. Personally i dislike secondary for the same reasons as you've mentioned but there are times where it is very beneficial. I don't think it will a problem to dry hop in primary after fermentation is done i just don't think it's ideal. I would wait 3 weeks before dry hopping though just to make sure.

Im just basing my previous reply on what ive read in 3 books... all circa 1999-2005.

They recommend secondary for adding fruit/oak and other things as that.

They also add that dry hopping is fine in either but recommend primary as a first choice for less risk of infection.

Trust me though. If i had a secondary I would prefer to dry hop in there.

Eh, you don't need a secondary I dry hop in my primary all the time, but yes let that beer finish more before you do it.

Back