Infection or just floaters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoreysOasis

Reaction score
After 2 weeks of bottle conditioning a hard seltzer, I noticed some of the bottles have some stringy things floating on top. Does this look like an infection to you or something else? When I transferred from fermenter to bottling bucket, there was some sediment hardened on the perimeter of the surface so wondering if this is just yeast/nutrient or something worse...
C297E7B0-990E-4111-8B1B-69BB0085444F.jpeg
DC13BC9A-4844-4C71-8C30-B80BE2FCDA7F.jpeg

That's obviously abnormal.

It doesn't look like any pellicle I've ever seen, nor anything else on a fermentation for that matter.

Can you post the recipe, include ALL of the ingredients/additives?

Last edited:
The 1 gallon boil was just distilled water, corn sugar, a whirlfloc tablet, and then yeast nutrient added after flameout but still hot. Fermentis SafAle US-05 dry yeast added directly to carboy at 70 degrees. After 2 weeks fermentation I did a crash cold and then added some hot gelatin solution (fining) which cleared it up very nicely. After a couple days I transferred to bottling bucket and added additional pre-boiled table sugar solution + LD Carlson natural flavoring solution.

Could maybe be some kind of gel from the whirlfloc +/- gelatin. I'm not sure.
I would skip the whirlfloc next time since it's not providing any benefit in this case.

Back